Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T Charge off help!

tag
RaVeN50G
Valued Member

AT&T Charge off help!

Ok so after trying so hard to rebuild my credit and finally getting somewhere, yesterday I see a charge off from AT&T for about $32. Now a little background, I did have an account with AT&T up until September of 2014 in which I then transferred the account to someone else's name. Now other than that I never received anymore mail or e-mail's from AT&T regarding this account whatsoever. So when I pulled up my credit report 2 days ago I see this Charge off. I then proceeded to contact AT&T CSR and was told me that they usually never put anything on people's credit and that it was transferred to a collections agency. The name of the collection agency is diversified consulant. I then proceeded to contact the CA and was told that they never put it on my credit report. I then decided to try my luck with the Executive Office of AT&T and was informed that they never put anything on my credit report and that they no longer owed the debt, I should contact the CA. Basically after a lot of back and forth with the Account manager and explaining everything, she kept contradicting herself and giving me a lot of run arounds. At the end she basically said that AT&T no longer owns the debt and so I have to bring it up with the CA. Is there anything I can do to remove this from my account? Should I call the CA and go from there. I'm at a loss. Thanks for reading.

TU: 707 (11/2014) EX: 696 (12/2014) EQ: 670 (12/2014) All Lender Pulls.
Short Term Goal: 700 Across the Board Long Term Goal: 750+
| Macy's: 1k | Barclay's Rewards: 3.3K | Quicksilver 3.8K | QuickSilverOne 1.5k | AMEX BCE 5.5K | DiscoverIT 6.1K |
USAA VISA Rewards 7K |
Last App 12/2014. In The Garden Till 12/2015... Hopefully
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AT&T Charge off help!

I would say that your best plan of action is to file a dispute with all three credit agencies (if they're all reporting the account). They will do the leg work for you and attempt to get the information verified. If they are not able to get a response from the AT&T or the CA then they will remove it. If they do get the debt validated, I am sure you can call the credit bureaus and find out which company validated the debt.

Message 2 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

So who is actually reporting this AT&T or their CA Diversified Consultants??

Message 3 of 6
RaVeN50G
Valued Member

They're both blaming each other, but on the report itself it says AT&T Services.

TU: 707 (11/2014) EX: 696 (12/2014) EQ: 670 (12/2014) All Lender Pulls.
Short Term Goal: 700 Across the Board Long Term Goal: 750+
| Macy's: 1k | Barclay's Rewards: 3.3K | Quicksilver 3.8K | QuickSilverOne 1.5k | AMEX BCE 5.5K | DiscoverIT 6.1K |
USAA VISA Rewards 7K |
Last App 12/2014. In The Garden Till 12/2015... Hopefully
Message 4 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@RaVeN50G wrote:

They're both blaming each other, but on the report itself it says AT&T Services.

ok then you need to deal with at^t services for this and if they are saying they didnt put it on there then ask for a letter stating that you owe them nothing and they didnt report this, take that letter and dispute it with the CRAs, if it comes baack verified then file a CFPB complaint.

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You are entitled, under FCRA 609(a), to any informstion of record in your credit file by sending the CRA such a request, accompanied by proof of your identity and the currrent pocessing fee for such requets, which is currently $11.00.

I would file a request for a copy of the reporting, which would dispell any denail of who reported.

The fact that they sold the debt after reporting does not end their responsibility for maintaining the accuracy of their reporting.  If they repored and now state they did not, they are responsible for correcting any inaccuracy.  FCRA 623(a)(2).

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.