Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T - ERC Collection Settlement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AT&T - ERC Collection Settlement

This is my first time posting so I hope I'm doing this right.  I had an AT&T bill that went to collection with ERC.  After stating I was unable to pay full amount, ERC settled for half of the total so I paid the agreed upon settled amount in February.  Today I got a letter from a different collection agency for the remainder of the original collection amount owed to AT&T.  Not sure how to proceed at this point, do I dispute the debt since I paid the agreed upon amount?   I realize I still owe the whole debt but I was not able to pay the full amount and still don't have the funds to pay in full.  Is it legal for another collection agency to go after you for the additional amount owed if you agreed on a settlement with the previous collector for the same account?  Sorry, this is all new territory for me and it's really frustrating.  Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
silkysean
Regular Contributor

Re: AT&T - ERC Collection Settlement

@Anonymous wrote:

This is my first time posting so I hope I'm doing this right.  I had an AT&T bill that went to collection with ERC.  After stating I was unable to pay full amount, ERC settled for half of the total so I paid the agreed upon settled amount in February.  Today I got a letter from a different collection agency for the remainder of the original collection amount owed to AT&T.  Not sure how to proceed at this point, do I dispute the debt since I paid the agreed upon amount?   I realize I still owe the whole debt but I was not able to pay the full amount and still don't have the funds to pay in full.  Is it legal for another collection agency to go after you for the additional amount owed if you agreed on a settlement with the previous collector for the same account?  Sorry, this is all new territory for me and it's really frustrating.  Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Well first question is did you agree to pay debt for half and if so was there proof via email or will they mail.But sounds to me like you were lied too and if that's the case there's nothing you can do because legally they don't have to settle and can resell if they choose too.In future never pay unless t.heres proof via email or a signed fax by a highe up then pay and if something happens you have emails and or fax to prove your intentions.Bill collectors are liars and very shady so be careful in future 

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@silkysean wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well first question is did you agree to pay debt for half and if so was there proof via email or will they mail.But sounds to me like you were lied too and if that's the case there's nothing you can do because legally they don't have to settle and can resell if they choose too.In future never pay unless t.heres proof via email or a signed fax by a highe up then pay and if something happens you have emails and or fax to prove your intentions.Bill collectors are liars and very shady so be careful in future 

No. It is NOT legal for them to lie to you to collect a debt. "Settled" means just that, its settled and the debt is discharged. Send this second CA a letter disputing the debt in its entirety as being previously settled with ERC and discharged. If you have any documentation at all send copies of it with the letter.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I will dispute this and call ERC tomorrow.  I just checked my credit report with TransUnion and it shows the debt was paid in full to ERC and the balance is $0.

Message 4 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Who did the new debt collector identity as the current owner of the debt?

Their dunning notice should identify who they are collecting on behalf of.

If you have clear documentation that you settled the debt, I would make a call to the party you settled with and inquire as to wheher they are aware of the new debt collector, or any assignment or sale of any alleged remaining debt to them.

The party you  settled with may have info as to what may have happened.......

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spoke with ERC and they informed me that the debt is listed as paid in full with no further money owing on this collection.  They are going to send me a settlement letter to that effect.  She said they do not sell any remaining debts to other collectors.  This new collection letter I received for the remaining monies owed lists AT&T as current creditor.  Does that mean AT&T is not accepting the deal I made with the first collector?

Message 6 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Call AT&T and ask.

Make a record of their response.

If they state that they never assigned any collection authority to the new debt collector, then you would have documentation to support a dispute of the accuracy of their reporting a collection without any collection authority.

A dispute would require their investigation and response back to the CRA, and a conclusion by the CRA of their reinvestigation within 30 days.

You would then have at least an actionable results of investigation upon which to base any further action.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I'm really confused right now.  Called AT&T and the girl was not much help but here's what she said.  She said AT&T recalled the debt from ERC and sold the remaining balance to Diversified Consultants, even though I settled for half of what was owed and paid ERC back in February.   She told me if I had any other questions I'd have to call Diversified for answers.  Is this legal?

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, I'm really confused right now.  Called AT&T and the girl was not much help but here's what she said.  She said AT&T recalled the debt from ERC and sold the remaining balance to Diversified Consultants, even though I settled for half of what was owed and paid ERC back in February.   She told me if I had any other questions I'd have to call Diversified for answers.  Is this legal?

If ERC is willing to give you a statement that your payment was a settlement in full, then ATT must abide by that agreement. Find out WHEN the debt was recalled from ERC.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I currently have the exact same situation going on with At&t. I settled the debt with a company called Afni somewhere in 2013 to 2014. Afni provided me with a letter stating the debt was settled. Now ERC is working with At&t and saying "

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we are unable to confirm that this debt has been paid as this has not been paid through our office.  Our agency is currently investigating this information with our client, AT&T. The account has been updated as a disputed item and placed on hold in an investigatory status. Our agency will no longer attempt to contact you regarding this account.

I gave the letter from Afni to both At&t and ERC. A manager at At&t full out lied to me that ERC bought the debt, however ERC states they don't buy debts, they work for at&t. 

I don't know what else to do. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.