Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T Universal Citi card

tag
keny01998
Established Member

AT&T Universal Citi card

Hi,

I was past due 120 days with Citi AT&T Universal and I had an agreement with them to settle the debt back in Dec 10. They sent me settlement letter and I started to pay the settled amount of $1094 in 3 months. They deducted $374 in Dec, $360 in Jan 11, and $360 in Feb. I do have proofs of payment from my bank as well as the Western Union form they used.

I assumed the debt was settled and they updated my credit as "paid settled"; however, now I can't log in to my Citi online account anymore. I checked my credit report and it lists that I still owed them $1516 (which is a forgiven balance).  Out of nowhere, I received call from United Collection Bureau on behalf of Citi Universal asking me to pay the past due amount of $1548. I told the lady on the phone that is a mistake and I faxed her all my settlement letter, paid checkstubb. UCB said they would check with Citi on the errors. However, I haven't heard anything from them in 4 days. I checked my report after hanging up the phone with them and found an inquiry from UCB a day before.

Today, I checked my report again and they updated the account as "Charge off" bad debt skip, written off $1548, past due $22 out of nowhere. This account should be listed as "paid settled" from Citi and because of the chargeoff status, it brought my score down 50 points.

What is a good step for me to clear this error out? I tried to call Citi and they told me to contact UCB. Calling UCB back and they said I should contact Citi. Can I send them a certified letter to ask them report the account correctly? Can I sue them for their mistake? I know after settlement, they can't go after me for balance but $22 past due...

Thanks,

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AT&T Universal Citi card

Wow. If I had that, here's what I would do in order:

1) I would DV the CA CMRRR ASAP.

2) I would mail a certified letter to Citi and explain in writing what happened and include their settlement letter your proof of payment.

3) After confirming receipt of the letter by the CA, I would then mail another letter for the inquiry. Send a non-PP letter.

Finally, avoid the phones. IMO, it is OK to talk to Citi so as long as you don't need anything in writing from them, but I would skip the calls to the CA entirely. Also, I would NOT dispute. It'll just get verified and make it harder to fix.

Message 2 of 3
keny01998
Established Member

Re: AT&T Universal Citi card

Updated:

I sent certified mails explaining what happened with return receipt to both Citi AT&T Universal and UCB and they received my mails on 4/18/2011. Never heard anything back from them yet; however, Citi continues to update my account on my credit reports as charge off with more past due amount. How do I resolve this? File a complain to BBB?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.