Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T Wireless - Cingular - AT&T Wireless

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AT&T Wireless - Cingular - AT&T Wireless

ok so i have a a collection listed on my Experian report in the amount of $697 here is the problem... the debt is for cancellation fees of my old AT&T wireless account... i canceled because i hated Cingular and when they bought out AT&T Wireless, i had horrible service and even worse customer service... but now Cingular doesn't exist and the company is AT&T again well i am trying to fix my credit at this point and have no idea what to do about this item it shows as the original lender "Cingular Wrls Fmerly At T Wrls" in the amount of $697 and the collection agency is "Collection Company Of" so not only does the company that filed the collection not exist any more, the collection company isnt named on my report... i have tried to dispute this in the past, but it has been a while.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AT&T Wireless - Cingular - AT&T Wireless

Welcome! Please read the credit scoring thread in my siggy.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for the response and i apologize if i placed my question in the wrong area... i read through the links you posted but i am still confused... what is one supposed to do if information on their report is a valid debt, but there is little to no information about who holds the debt or how to contact them? and would this even be the best course of action?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

mekender-
You can try calling the CRA directly. They may be able to give you more information. If they have validated in the past, then there must be valid contact information on file at the CRA for them to correspond with. Disputing it wasn't be the best course of action, since you know it is a valid debt, and that is all disputing does: gives the company the chance to verify whether the debt is valid or not. Yes, technically, the CA is supposed to list current and correct contact info on your CR, but taking due course would probably involve you attempting to find out anything from the CRA as well.
Otherwise, you can always try to contact AT&T directly. If it is with a CA, they should have the CA contact info on your file.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.