Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T Wireless sent me to collections? Please help

tag
glamchick
Established Contributor

AT&T Wireless sent me to collections? Please help

I had 3 AT&T cell phones on one contract.  The bills were outrageous $350.00 a month!!!  I would call and argue with them that I was on a plan and they made up something every time I would call.  So I cancelled my contract and they wanted me to pay $1200.00 I called to argue again and got no where.  They sold my account to a collection agency and its the only collection on my report.  Im trying to buy a house this year and this has to be removed.  I've already sent them a DV and they sent me a copy of my bill.   I have also challenged it on my reports came back as owed. 

Should I send a PFD next?  I am desperate because I have to move out of my rental in 3 months and need another rental or home purchase and I think once anyone see's this I will be denied.

Thanks for any advice.

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Re: AT&T Wireless sent me to collections? Please help

PFD or PIF >> GW (Or Settle >> GW, but less likely) seem  to be your only options.  It's valid debt, and won't go anywhere until paid.  While you may have had a point and a leg to stand on, once you cancelled and allowed the early termination fees to hit and lapse, it lost a lot of leverage.  Consider a BBB complaint next time prior to cancelling, to either get it straight or get out of the early termination fee.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 2 of 22
glamchick
Established Contributor

Thank you Jutz!  I will try your suggestions Smiley Happy

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 3 of 22
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

I am dealing with them now! They sent mines to southwest credit systems. The bill amount is in dispute, but I was going to pay SW and then go after Att later. I called SW and they would not give me anything in writing. Just promised verbally to remove from credit reports. So I am sending them a certified letter to see if they will accept a PFD  with the terms of sending something in writing.

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 4 of 22
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@Unique620 wrote:

I am dealing with them now! They sent mines to southwest credit systems. The bill amount is in dispute, but I was going to pay SW and then go after Att later. I called SW and they would not give me anything in writing. Just promised verbally to remove from credit reports. So I am sending them a certified letter to see if they will accept a PFD  with the terms of sending something in writing.

They gave you a verbal?  I'd consider paying if the letter doesn't work.  Is AT&T reporting a charge-off, or is the only form of reporting by SW-CS?

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 5 of 22
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

@Unique620 wrote:

They gave you a verbal?  I'd consider paying if the letter doesn't work.  Is AT&T reporting a charge-off, or is the only form of reporting by SW-CS?

Yes they gave me a verbal, BUT because of the horrible complaints and reviews I have seen online, they is not going to fly. To many complaints that they agreed to remove and did not. Hopefully this nightmare ends soon! Only been a week.

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 6 of 22
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

No ATT is not on report, just Collections.

Message 7 of 22
glamchick
Established Contributor

Yep, they've sent mine to Southwest also.  Thats who I sent the DV too and they sent me my AT&T bill then immediately put it on my credit report.  I didn't eve get a chance to investigate why they are saying I owe so much!!!

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 8 of 22
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

I am going to try a PFD since they keep trying to get me to pay half. I rather just get it off, so I am going to send a certified letter to them tomorrow and see what happens from there. I hope it works out for us, because it killed my score! 

Message 9 of 22
glamchick
Established Contributor

i know me too!!  And thats great they are offereing for you to only pay half.   I also want to send a PFD offering half.  I really don't even owe it.     Keep me posted on this and if I find out anything that will help I will let you know.

Thanks!!!

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.