Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T reportingnegative information on my report

tag
oneofayykind
New Contributor

AT&T reportingnegative information on my report

I used to have a cingular wireless account approx. 4 years ago. What happened at that time was I called Cingular to change my bill to add more minutes because I was about to go over for the month. The sales associate convinced me it would be cheaper to not change my bill and to incurr the over the minute fes because it would cost more to pro rate the additional minutes. At the end of the month my bill was 800 dollars and I could not pay it with my part time job. I called Cingular and complained about the charge explaining that the sales associate had trapped me. Eventually after complaining long enough they agreed to get rid of the charge. Now 4 years later AT&T has my bill and Dec of 2008 this charge popped up on my credit report stating I now owe 2800 dollars. I had closed this account right when Cingular had agreed to take this charge off my bill. What can I do to get rid of this??? I want to call AT&T and explain what had happened in the past and ask them to take this off my credit report.

Can anyone give me advice as to what to do? I dont have the money for a laywer.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AT&T reportingnegative information on my report

Who is reporting on your report?

I would first try to contact the OC and try to get this fixed.

If that doesn't work, I would file a complaint with the BBB regarding the situation and see what you can do there.

Message 2 of 7
oneofayykind
New Contributor

David Taylor & Associates is the one reporting this. I will contact AT&T today regarding this. Any advice as to what I should be saying to them?
Message Edited by oneofayykind on 01-22-2009 07:48 AM

Message 3 of 7
oneofayykind
New Contributor

I wanted to add an update to this to see if anyone could help me or suggest what they would do. I spoke with AT&T and after an hour of being bounced around and talking to a billing person this is what I found out. I had an account with AT&T and the bill was at almost 500 dollars. Then one month I was over my minutes so I called up AT&T and asked to be upgraded. They did not upgrade my bill because the sales person convinced me it would be best if I left the bill alone and paid the overage and after that month they would upgrade my minutes. Reason why he said this was best is because I would have had to pay a pro rated amount. I said ok to it and at the end of the month my overage charge alone was 800 dollars. I called and complained to AT&T back then and they said they would take the overage off and send me a new bill. I never got a new bill and cancelled AT&T. I never heard from them again regarding this and it wasnt until 12/2008 that I remember the account and is showing up now on my credit report. The total bill from AT&T when they closed the account was approx 1500 dollars. They charged me 18% for sending it to a collections agency which took the bill to 2200 and now the new collection agency that has it has the amount up to 2600.

The person at AT&T that I spoke with that actually tried to help me (or atleast it seemed) told me there was nothing they could do at this point because it was sold to the collection agency. The reason the bill was 1500 is because of fees and the 150 early termination fee. At this point I have no idea what to do. I was thinking maybe my best option would be to send a PFD letter offering to pay 50% but I dont know if this is the best course of action.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it was sold the the CA, and it has been more than 2 years since you last made a payment(SOL for cell phones is 2 years) then I would send a short and simple DV letter to the CA.

After that, post back, what if anything they respond with.

See the link below titled "DV".

Message 5 of 7
oneofayykind
New Contributor

Can I use the DV listed here http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&thread.id=66152&view=by_date_...

It is by lonnster would that be ok to use?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can but it is extremely longer than it needs to be and almost none of those things listed are things actually required by FDCPA 809 to be provided.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.