cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T wireless Forgiveness?????

tag
PowerRanger

AT&T wireless Forgiveness?????

Hi I have a question. I had a Cingular wireless account in 2003 before they merged with AT&T. I failed to pay the bill and it went to collections. In 2007 I tried to open an ATT account and they said I owed them money, which turned out to be the Cingular account coming back to haunt me.  Its now 9 years later and the collection has dropped off my report. I'm wondering if it would be possible to go back to AT&T and try again. Has anyone here ever been successful going back to ATT after a collection??  I'd hate to waste a HP just to be rejected again. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Re: AT&T wireless Forgiveness?????

AT&T will flag old debt for 7 years and attempt to collect during that time. If it's older than 7 years they will not collect, they will simply run your credit.

So yes, it is possible to go back to AT&T after 9 years. You will not be rejected, but you may get a deposit.

At the same token, let's pretend it was less than 7 years old, they would simply ask you to pay the debt and run your credit.They do not hold grudges over old debt less than 7 years, as long as you pay it off.

Message 2 of 4
PowerRanger

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help!

Message 3 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Thanks for your help!

Time heals "most" wounds.   Should be OK now.  Good Luck.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.