Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATT&T Collection with Enhanced Recovery

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ATT&T Collection with Enhanced Recovery

A collection account from 2 years ago that kept getting reported every couple of months was removed recently from my report. I thus seized the opportunity and called ERC to see whether paying them would prevent its further report. They assured me that if I settled with them (for an amount that was rougly 50% of the original $620 AT&T bill), they simply wouldn't make the report scheduled for a week from now. The problem is that these representatives did not agree to put the part of the agreeement regarding the report in writing. Nevertheless, 3 different representatives (I called them twice) assured me that this is true and they have seen it happen all the time (someone paying them off before their report and ERC not reporting). 

I also called AT&T directly twice to collect more data points. They couldn't settle for any amount less than the full amount but also assured me that they wouldn't report it and that it would be pulled back from the debt collector. The second time I was told that they can't really control the way the agency reports it. 

Ultimately, I am unsure as to whom I should pay -- AT&T or ERC. I feel like if I paid AT&T, there wouldn't be much goodwill to prevent ERC from simply reporting a collection with a zero balance. On the other hand, there are many on these forums who argue that you should always pay off the OC. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Re: ATT&T Collection with Enhanced Recovery

If I am not mistaken once you make a payment, ERC can't really do anything about the the debt. At that point ATT has basically recalled the debt and CA has to remove the entry as they no longer hold the debt. Whether ATT will actually do a pfd is a different story.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The debt isn't actually showing right now so a pay for delete isn't the thing I am looking for per se. I want to avoid it being reported altogether.

I am trying to determine whom I can pay to maximize my chances that they don't report it. If I pay AT&T, the collection agency can still report it -- they would just report a line item with a zero balance. The other problem is that AT&T could take a good week to even let ERC know the debt has been paid. 

On the other hand, ERC promised over the phone that they wouldn't make a report to the bureau if the account is closed. I could effectively prevent the report by paying them. The lady said something to the effect of "We don't want to make people angry. We want to close accounts." 

I just don't know who to pay. I honestly considered paying both but thats ridiculous. 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@darwin_wins wrote:

If I am not mistaken once you make a payment, ERC can't really do anything about the the debt. At that point ATT has basically recalled the debt and CA has to remove the entry as they no longer hold the debt. Whether ATT will actually do a pfd is a different story.

If ERC has collection authority at the time the debt is paid they most certainly CAN report. Will they? I dunno. I was in the same position with AFNI and DirecTV. I paid DirecTV and it never got reported. But I really didn't know any better at the time and got lucky. My dunning notice from AFNI also clearly stated I could pay DirecTV if I wished.

OP, a verbal promise on the phone is as good as written. You can record the call and hold their feet to the fire for breach of verbal contract.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The debt isn't actually showing right now so a pay for delete isn't the thing I am looking for per se. I want to avoid it being reported altogether.

I am trying to determine whom I can pay to maximize my chances that they don't report it. If I pay AT&T, the collection agency can still report it -- they would just report a line item with a zero balance. The other problem is that AT&T could take a good week to even let ERC know the debt has been paid. 

On the other hand, ERC promised over the phone that they wouldn't make a report to the bureau if the account is closed. I could effectively prevent the report by paying them. The lady said something to the effect of "We don't want to make people angry. We want to close accounts." 

I just don't know who to pay. I honestly considered paying both but thats ridiculous. 

I would call ERC and pay them - with the verbal agreement that it will not be reported, and record the call for your protection.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.