Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUD number? Dealing with a collection agency

tag
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

AUD number? Dealing with a collection agency

I have a collection from comcast with Stellar Recovery. I called them today to tell them i'd be thrilled to pfd but she informed me they are not a PFD company.

She did mention, after speaking with me for a bit that she's heard of an AUD number but she doesn't really know what it is.  She said she'd have her supervisor call me back to discuss it further.  I also asked if I paid the charge, and then later disputed it, if the CRA would respond to this or if it would lapse.

She said its the first time anyone ever asked her that.

Anyone know what an AUD number is?  Are there any other questions i can throw at them?  I am more than willing to PFD but if not, i'm tempted to say screw it. My last paid collection got me nothing in terms of score and worse, I feel like its comcasts fault they didn't cut off my service when I TOOK THEM THE DAMN BOXES! lol.

CK EQ: 730 / CK TU: 735 / EXP FICO: 721 / EX Vantage: 793 / Total Exposure: 112K
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
growing123
Regular Contributor

Re: AUD number? Dealing with a collection agency

In my experience with Comcast/Stellar Recovery, I first called Comcast to confirm who owned the debt.  Turned out comcast still owned it and once I paid in full, they instructed Stellar to delete the account from my CR. It was gone in the next day or two. 

As for AUD, I paid a medical collection to the CA and they submitted an 'Automated Universal Data' form to the CRA and deleted the account.  There is a control number that goes along with it when they submit to the CRA, so I'm assuming that's the 'AUD number' the lady mentioned to you.

Hope this helps.

(this is my first post, but have been lurking since November.  LOVE this site!)

Starting Scores - Mid 500s - 10/2013

EX 706 (FICO 9/15) | EQ 710 (FICO 9/15) | TU 716 (FICO 9/15)

Quicksilver $12.8K | Freedom $1.5k | Discover It $11.5k | VS $1.2k | AMEX BCE $10k | Fidelity AMEX $10k | US Cash+ $9k | Citi DC $6.6k
Message 2 of 10
virgo
Established Contributor

The AUD number is the two digit code that creditors use to send the status data of an account to the credit bureaus.   93=Ca, 97=CO, etc.

That is strictly between the creditor and the bureaus and has nothing to do with the consumer.  Not  alot of people will know what an AUD is unless you actually are the one changing the status on accounts. 

It costs to report to credit bureaus.  After an account is paid, it really doesn't make good business sense to keep reporting, it's a waste of revenue if you ask me.  They will tell you that this is to maintain the integrity of the reporting system that they are informing people of a persons credit worthiness. 

I believe the reason a person gets something deleted after it is paid is because there is just no reason to keep reporting, especially a CA.  If it is deledted, it no longer costs them to report.

Message 3 of 10
growing123
Regular Contributor

virgo wrote:

The AUD number is the two digit code that creditors use to send the status data of an account to the credit bureaus.   93=Ca, 97=CO, etc.

That is strictly between the creditor and the bureaus and has nothing to do with the consumer.  Not  alot of people will know what an AUD is unless you actually are the one changing the status on accounts. 

It costs to report to credit bureaus.  After an account is paid, it really doesn't make good business sense to keep reporting, it's a waste of revenue if you ask me.  They will tell you that this is to maintain the integrity of the reporting system that they are informing people of a persons credit worthiness. 

I believe the reason a person gets something deleted after it is paid is because there is just no reason to keep reporting, especially a CA.  If it is deledted, it no longer costs them to report.

I wish someone would explain that to Syndicated Office Systems! 

Starting Scores - Mid 500s - 10/2013

EX 706 (FICO 9/15) | EQ 710 (FICO 9/15) | TU 716 (FICO 9/15)

Quicksilver $12.8K | Freedom $1.5k | Discover It $11.5k | VS $1.2k | AMEX BCE $10k | Fidelity AMEX $10k | US Cash+ $9k | Citi DC $6.6k
Message 4 of 10
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

SO do you think that disputing paid collections might get them to fall off?  In this case, should I call comcast and see if they will instruct the CA to delete the record?

CK EQ: 730 / CK TU: 735 / EXP FICO: 721 / EX Vantage: 793 / Total Exposure: 112K
Message 5 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Paying the debt does not make the fact that the debt collector had collection authority inaccurate, and thus is not statutory basis for a dispute.

The CRA reporting policy is that furnishers should not delete based on payment of a debt, so disputing on that basis with the CRA is tantamount to requesting them to delete for a reason contrary to their written policy.

The OC has no authority to delte reporting of another, or to require that they do so.

You can ask the OC to call their debt collector and request deletion as a good will gesture, but they debt collector is not required to do so.

I would suppose that a request from the OC would most likely be honored as being beneficial to their continued business relationship with the creditor.

If the debt collector has declined to delete when a PFD was offered, that suggests the later GW deletion may be a problem.

They key is in convincing the OC to make that effort on your behalf.

As a side issue, the OC account will not be excluded or deleted based on expirtion of any credit report exclusion period.  Only the individual derogs reported on the account become exclused.  A collection is different, in that it is in and of itself defined as a adverset item of information under the FCRA, and becomes excluded in its entirety.

If the OC has reported and the debt remains unpaid, the OC account will still show a balance with no reporting of payment, but will not show the derogs associated with the account.  Thus, it is still of benefit to show payment of the debt after credit report exclusion of the derogs under the OC account.

Message 6 of 10
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

Wow. Well you have a lot of posts so I'm sure you know what you're talking about, but you sound like a debt collector Smiley Happy

I thought that if you paid the OC, then the CA no longer had any claim to the money?

Are there any other tricks to getting a charge removed that I could try?  Its frustrating because this only happened because I moved and Comcast charged me for services after I turned in my equipment...

Message 7 of 10
Shokk
Established Contributor

@mccallb wrote:

Wow. Well you have a lot of posts so I'm sure you know what you're talking about, but you sound like a debt collector Smiley Happy

I thought that if you paid the OC, then the CA no longer had any claim to the money?

Are there any other tricks to getting a charge removed that I could try?  Its frustrating because this only happened because I moved and Comcast charged me for services after I turned in my equipment...

This part is correct.  But if and only if the OC recalls the debt from the CA.  When this happens, there is no longer anything for the CA to report.  If the OC sold the debt to the CA, this is not an option.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 8 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@mccallb wrote:

SO do you think that disputing paid collections might get them to fall off?  In this case, should I call comcast and see if they will instruct the CA to delete the record?

You are not supposed to dispute accurately reporting information.  It is a violation of the TOS of the forums.

Message 9 of 10
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

Understood.  Forgive my ignorance.  I don't want to do anything illegitimate.  Thanks all!  I will contact comcast and see if i pay them they will recall the original debt.  If not, I will see if the CA will do PFD.  THey've told me over the phone twice they will not.

Should I DV them at that point, and if they validate, I should send a letter as opposed to calling

Thanks!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.