Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolutely zero credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Absolutely zero credit

@Tydawg & @Gemini101- OK! I will stop the Self Lender process now... It sounded like the same process of a shared secured loan but I guess I misunderstood something. Would it be best to get a long term loan or a shorter term? As far as secured CC, I tried a couple online to no avail, so I will take the advice given to me in one of the replies and take a wad of cash and my earnings statements to a CU and try to get one from there. 

Message 11 of 39
wa3more
Established Contributor

my college daughter was in same spot , open credit union account and got a master card unsec.

To the OP :

- you have a job and make a decent salary ?

-where do you bank ? you have a checking or savings account anywhere ?

Message 12 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently make right about $30k with my cell phone car insurance and rent as my only bills. My company offers a debit card to load my paychecks on and I've been using that as my only source of banking. I am going to open a CU account monday,

Message 13 of 39
wa3more
Established Contributor

yes, open up a checking and savings account at local CU. If your company does direct deposit, do that into checking.

You should not have a problems with a CC at a credit union. They will most like start you out with low credit limit.  They started my daughter at 500.

Message 14 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

The credit union I used to work at had a policy where we would automatically approve a $500 unsecured limit if you had a -0- score and could provide proof of income, they are out there and you should be much happier there than loading your pay onto a prepaid card, if you have any additional questions feel free to drop into the forums again! Glad to hear you were able to stop the process there are much better ways to build your credit an luckily you came to a good starting place and Gemini, I, and others can steer you where to go. Best of luck

-tydawg

Message 15 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good job, @LessThan
We're missing something, friend

At this point it seems like you've now taken a few HPs, so I'm not as sure as some others about the whole put cash in and just get awarded an unsecured account.

We want to be very careful of your HPs at this point, because you've now mentioned Cap-1 and a FEW online lenders.

Now, all isn't lost...We just need very deliberate steps.
Are there any baddies on your profile, a collection or bad check or something?
Seems one of these places would have given a $300-$500 starter card but of as denials pile up, that can change.

Have you seen, what's listed on your reports with your own eyes?

Do you have any security deposit cash, that you can COMFORTABLY live w/o access to for at least a year?

Normally, something like Open Sky would not be on my top shelf of choices but from what I understand, they do report and you don't burn a HP

Again, I'm a SSL fan because generally it's a automatic approval w/o a HP
It builds a relationship with a lender that could lead to other banking and credit offers from that specific CU

There are too many CUs that will basically GIVE you either a secured CC or loan....

Look around this forum and you'll see more than one CU that will work with you....I don't like just saying your local CU because it sends the wrong message.

Simply because w/o prior knowledge and a referral IMO the 'local' CU can be so wildly left or right of center...We just can't send folks into their local place without context cause these ppl seem very nice but many can be very over conservative and NOT have the friendliest products.

Many times the Apr looks, great and the lady is smiling...Then they use some crazy metrics or charge some stupid fees...

One would do themselves, looking around this forum and or others to know EXACTLY who runs what and how products work.

Example, if a person has zero money for deposit there is a loan called credit builder...Where they lend the money, immediately put it in an account and you get access AFTER to term is up (kinda like a forced savings, negating the need to bring security funds to the table) however the term credit builder doesn't mean exactly the same thing at every institution.

*As for your question about the term of the loan, if you took a look at the SSL you'll see how to manipulate a more favorable score by leaving the loan open longer strategically but without real debt.

Plus considering that the paid off but positive account stays on your profile for 10 years, it means a loan paid off in a year lingers positively for 11 years while a 4 year loan lingers 14...

Plus the little nuisance payment is smaller...In today's world this is pretty easy because the computers allow us to just set this stuff up like a video game spreadsheet and let it PLAY...

Btw, do you have family that would allow you on an established account as an AU (of course prefect payment history and low debt ratio, or it's no good)
The family member would not even need to give you a card just adding for reporting purposes only...it could give you a leg up, if not no biggie, just a thought if you had access.

Message 16 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

So much good information and things to think about,,,! Thanks guys!

@Gemini- I did the prequalify thing for like 5 banks and as I understand it, that process is only a soft pull. The card I actually did a full application on is CapOne Secured, thinking they would absolutely approve me if I have a deposit in hand... I was wrong. I've tried to pull my report with Credit Karma as well as Discover's credit program and they both said I had too thin of a file and the only thing they could report on is my name, address, and employer. As far as the credit union thing, I already started looking at reviews on CUs and I have it narrowed down to Delta Community CU, Georgia's Own CU, or State Department CU. 

Message 17 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So much good information and things to think about,,,! Thanks guys!

@Gemini- I did the prequalify thing for like 5 banks and as I understand it, that process is only a soft pull. The card I actually did a full application on is CapOne Secured, thinking they would absolutely approve me if I have a deposit in hand... I was wrong. I've tried to pull my report with Credit Karma as well as Discover's credit program and they both said I had too thin of a file and the only thing they could report on is my name, address, and employer. As far as the credit union thing, I already started looking at reviews on CUs and I have it narrowed down to Delta Community CU, Georgia's Own CU, or State Department CU. 

That is the unfortunate thing about having a -0- score I went took a quick peek at the offerings of the CUs you mentioned I would immediately narrow it down to Delta or Georgia's own based on the availability of student or young adult credit card, I may have missed if you said if you were a student or not but it does look like the nice thing about the Delta Community CU credit card is that you qualify regardless of whether or not you are a student, they also have some decent checking options and received an A+ health rating from a deposit to loan account ratio. So personally I would establish a relationship with Delta but I do not believe you would be wrong in choosing one over the other, only you can decide what is best, but getting a credit card seemed very high on the list of priorities and rightly so!

Message 18 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed the prequals
Can be tricky because
1) They are marketing devices to simulate apps
And some NOTHING more than slick commercials, period. While others set the criteria way way wide to again simulate apps just to pimp stats..

Like military recruiters that have these kids bust their butts to make 'weight' only to find out once they get to boot camp that they are MILES away from a 'real' acceptable number and they get thrown right into 'pork chop' squad running all-day on half meals but I digress

2) It's a darn shame because the de facto message is 'try this one' when they don't have a card for you only to rack up denials... Horrible

This is how Standford and others report a 5% acceptance rate... Enticing folks with zero chance to app vs directing them to SAVE themselves the trouble.

I will say it again, nobody turns you down for a SSL and worse case scenario you will have a score and profile within 6 months, period.

Hell it's easier to get a car loan sometimes because there is security for the loan but again remember this isn't that big a deal you'll have Credit shortly I'm sure of it
Message 19 of 39
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I would go with Gemini's plan but wait two months after the SSL before getting the cards.  With the SSL and six months of having two secured cards, you should be able to get your choice of a wide variety of cards.

The credit union is the biggest thing.  I don't know how your employer's card works but one that was available at my previous employer took a hefty chunk in fees.  It was something like $2 every time you swiped the card to make a purchase.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.