Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted to NFCU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Accepted to NFCU

I'm pretty happy right now , after thinking about it for a while , decided to finally pull the trigger and see if i could get in at NFCU. My Grandfather was a WWII Vet , and even though he has passed away i read that i'd be accepted.

I went ahead and called and spoke to a Very nice CSR who took my information , and the $5.00 deposit and was then able to open my account. Once i was able to get into the online banking I went ahead and opened a Checking account . and made a Cash Rewards Application. I got the immidiate denial on the Credit Card. but sent off a recon e-mail , and we'll see how that goes ( not opposed to a secured card , but want to try this 1st after reading on the forum)  I'll be moving my Direct Deposit over as soon as i feel comfortable that nothing bad will happen.

Thanks to the forum for giving me the info i needed to make this happen. If NFCU is like everyone on the forum says , i may end up trying to re-fi my auto loan , and maybe a Mortgage through them

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Accepted to NFCU

Congratulations and best of luck that everything will work out!!

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

welcome to nfcu.    i just got it not that long ago myself and its been great so far

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I'm curious about the process you went through on joining since it was your grandfather that was in the military.

Both of mine were but I thought you could only join if it was a brother/sister or mother/father that was in and they wouldn't consider your grandparents but I guess that's not the case?

Did you call to do the application with them or did you complete it online?
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

You absolutely can join if your grandfather served.  I also joined because my grandfather was in the Navy and I used the online application:

If you look at https://www.navyfederal.org/how-to-become-a-member/how-to-become-a-member.php iand click through the 3 question eligibility part - the 2nd question applies to family members and t says "Family members include grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children and household members."

Whether you have to call or not depends on if your grandfather is a NFCU member - if No, you need to call.  

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I guess that is what threw me off is that I noticed they needed to be a member. Which of course they weren't but I'll call and see if they can still open one for me.
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@VelosterBEAR wrote:
Thanks! I guess that is what threw me off is that I noticed they needed to be a member. Which of course they weren't but I'll call and see if they can still open one for me.

The only reason you have to call in that case is you'd have to provide identifying data about your grandfather so they can verify his service.  This is better served over the phone.  Once you are a member, you can sponsor anyone else in your family with you being the sponsoring member (you just give them your Access Number and they can use you as their sponsor and do it online - so it will still require you to call to put your grandfather as the sponsor but anyone else in your family can use your Access Numbrer and do it online).

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it! Thanks for the info. Do you know by chance what info is needed on my grandfather to open up the account? If not, I'll find out when I call later today.
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@VelosterBEAR wrote:
Got it! Thanks for the info. Do you know by chance what info is needed on my grandfather to open up the account? If not, I'll find out when I call later today.

You need to know the following:

- Sponsor's Name

- Last 4 of Sponsor's SSN

- Sponsor's DOB

- Sponsor's Affiliation (Army, Navy, etc...)

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! Thank you.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.