Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepting reality

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Accepting reality

Here I am, 54 with a $120,000 debt that I can't write off.  I've been depressed about it for years since making the mistakes that led to this situation.  I last stopped paying on it in 2013 and had 30/60 day lates.  I decided to make it right again and have been good since.  My credit suffered, but it was not an isolated incident.  I had charge offs and tons of late payments/delinquencies prior to that.  I wrote the CEO of BofA, the holder of the HELOC debt, a goodwill letter and received many responses. Nothing changed, but at least I got years of pain off my chest.  I am in a position to make the payments with my $50K disability income for bipolar disorder/military issues, so I am in better shape than most.  I entered gambling treatment, the main reason behind my debt along with massive impulsive spending and lending of money, last year and am coming up on 6 months clean again.  My credit score is around 650, good enough to have recently obtained a nice Chase Sapphire Card that led to another spending spree, this time on musical instruments that I have actually used.  I did this to get the bonus for a reduced-fare trip to Arizona, another gambling-type behavior.  Thanks to this forum and my military service I was able to join Navy Federal Credit Union that offers generous lines of credit (10K for me at 15% int) and a 3% Balance transfer offered that allowed me to pay off my $4K CSP debt in a month.  My CC balance is down to $500 again and now I have a $25K CL on 8 cards.  History could definitely repeat itself, but I am in therapy for that and to be honest, I'm getting old and tired.  I've frittered away years of foolish spending  and gambling and can't get it back.  I can't write off the debt because the cosignor won't communicate with me and owns the house that was used for collateral.  It's a sad family situation but I have learned to accept reality.  

Myfico is kind of a fantasy world, and I certainly fell into its spell.  All this talk about credit cards, fico scores and such have filled my copious spare time during the past two months since receive the preapproval for the Chase Sapphire card.  I live alone in a retirement home and don't have much of a social life.  The numbers and all have been like gambling, except I have actually learned a lot here and have enjoyed the on-line conversations.  Bottom line is I am trying to accept reality and be more responsible, be grateful for what I have and move forward.  I have to take responsibility for what I have done and not look for escape, bailouts or excuses.  I have done that for years and it finally stopped working.  I hope I am charting a new path and hope others can do the same.  Best wishes.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Re: Accepting reality

Bless You Analog, and good luck on your Journey

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are welcome here! Good luck on your endeavors!
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Analog,

Your strength is really inspiring. Thank you for sharing about your situation. One of the great things about this place is that you realize you aren't alone. I've always felt ashamed of my mistakes, so it's not like I talk to everyone I meet about them. myFico is a safe place to discuss situations openly and formulate a plan.

All the best to you

Message 4 of 7
jbsea
Established Contributor

Well everyone has to start somewhere.  This form has been such a blessing to me.  I agree with you I get so much at of it.  Just reading everyones story's have inspired me to be so much more responsible.  Welcome to fico with open armsSmiley Happy

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 5 of 7
EW800
Valued Contributor

Analog,  

Very sorry about what you have gone through.  I do not have expertise in the areas that you mention, however would like to encourage you to remain very active in this forum.  It is very helpful and you can get some excellent advise.  

Wishing you nothing but the best!  Smiley Happy

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 6 of 7
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Best wishes on your journey,,we are here to offer support. For me this forum has helped in ways I can't even explain.Here you people who have been in all kinds of situations and bounced back or are in the process of rebuilding without being judgmental...They are the best...

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.