Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account deleted delimma

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Account deleted delimma

I called today a library near a military base my brother was stationed at. I had/have a $100 debt there for an unreturned book.

To make a long story short. In 2009 my brother lost his wife and I took care of his 3 girls while he got back on his feet.

Anyway, I called because a debt collector has it listed on experian. I am trying to gain every point I can to get a mortgage in 6 to 7 months. I wanted to pay it but she (the librarian) the account has been deleted. I asked how to resolve this and told her it was on my credit report. She said not to worry about the debt and she would send me a letter stating the account shows a zero balance and was closed in 2009.

Once I get the letter should I send a copy to the debt collector and call them or dispute?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Account deleted delimma

Or is the debt collector going to say they bought the debt that's why it's zero balance at the library?

When I spoke to the collector asking for a pfd they told me I had to get approval from the library so it makes me think they do not own the debt.
Message 2 of 3
tufa4311
Established Contributor

Re: Account deleted delimma

You need to determine who owns the debt. Sounds like the collector was only hired to collect and does not own it - if they owned it they could make any deal they wanted. Call the library back, get a contact number for the accounting dept or circulation manager (whomever is responsible for accounts and sends them to collections.)

Request that they pull it back from collections, accept a payment if there is still a balance (evethough they say there is no longer a balance), and request that they delete the reporting.

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.