Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account from 2001 still on CR...???

tag
Txmomof3
Established Member

Account from 2001 still on CR...???

Hi!

I am new around here and am trying really hard to learn all the ropes.  I find all this information addicting and I am giddy at the thought of watching my score get higher and higher.

I have an account from RC Willey that was opened in 2001 that is reporting with all three CRAs.  It is reporting as "charged off" but the payment history for the past 24 months shows no late payments.  I haven't made any payments on it since 2002 but it is still showing on my report.  It is not owned by a CA (as far as I can tell it is still reporting as RC Willey) so should I just call RC Willey and ask them to remove it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Account from 2001 still on CR...???

Welcome to the forums!

Who (or what) is RC Willey? I assume its still not paid? How much do you allegedly owe? What state do you live in? This is for the purposes of knowing your state's SOL (statute of limitations)?

Message 2 of 5
Txmomof3
Established Member

Thanks for the welcome!Smiley Happy

RC Willey is a furniture store and the amount owed as reported is $1,160.  I live in Texas but moved here from Oregon 8 months ago.  In Oregon the SOL is 7 years and in Texas it is only 4 years...not sure which one I would fall under?  Either way it is out of the SOL since it is from 2002 at the latest I think?  

Message 3 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I would dispute the CO with the credit reporting agencies as "past credit reporting time limits". 

From the FCRA (The Fair Credit Reporting Act)

§ 605. Requirements relating to information contained in consumer reports [15 U.S.C. §1681c]

(a) Information excluded from consumer reports. Except as authorized under subsection(b) (does not apply to you) of this section, no consumer reporting agency may make any consumer reportcontaining any of the following items of information:

(1) Cases under title 11 [United States Code] or under the Bankruptcy Act that, fromthe date of entry of the order for relief or the date of adjudication, as the case maybe, antedate the report by more than 10 years.

(2) Civil suits, civil judgments, and records of arrest that from date of entry, antedate the report by more than seven years or until the governing statute of limitations has expired, whichever is the longer period.

(3) Paid tax liens which, from date of payment, antedate the report by more than seven years.

(4) Accounts placed for collection or charged to profit and loss which antedate thereport by more than seven years.

(5) Any other adverse item of information, other than records of convictions of crimes which antedates the report by more than seven years

This applies to you.

(c) Running of Reporting Period
(1) In general. The 7-year period referred to in paragraphs (4) and (6)
3 of subsection
(a) shall begin, with respect to any delinquent account that is placed for collection
(internally or by referral to a third party, whichever is earlier), charged to profit and
loss, or subjected to any similar action, upon the expiration of the 180-day period
beginning on the date of the commencement of the delinquency which immediately
preceded the collection activity, charge to profit and loss, or similar action.
(2) Effective date. Paragraph (1) shall apply only to items of information added to the
file of a consumer on or after the date that is 455 days after the date of enactment of
the Consumer Credit Reporting Reform Act of 1996.

(c) Running of Reporting Period

(1) In general. The 7-year period referred to in paragraphs (4) and (6)3 of subsection(a) shall begin, with respect to any delinquent account that is placed for collection(internally or by referral to a third party, whichever is earlier), charged to profit andloss, or subjected to any similar action, upon the expiration of the 180-day periodbeginning on the date of the commencement of the delinquency which immediatelypreceded the collection activity, charge to profit and loss, or similar action.(2) Effective date. Paragraph (1) shall apply only to items of information added to thefile of a consumer on or after the date that is 455 days after the date of enactment of the Consumer Credit Reporting Reform Act of 1996.

Message 4 of 5
Txmomof3
Established Member

Thank you so much for this information...I will be calling all three CRA's tomorrow regarding this.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.