Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account has my name BUT his SSN#

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Account has my name BUT his SSN#

Hello to all,

I have been religiously reading these boards and I thank all that have contributed with answers as well as those who have asked questions.  This forum has been a great help in this journey.

I have a question/crazy scenario and I don't know what to do:

Husband and I moved a year ago and didn't receive final phone bill from ATT.  Since we have been clearing his credit and our current address is updated to credit report, we have received a letter from NCO stating they are collecting the debt $160 for ATT. Says we have 30 days to dispute.

I called ATT and verified that it was indeed for our last residence but here is the kicker........the account is showing my name with his SSN#......he called and set up the phone service and I don't know if he listed me as an authorized person to handle the account, but somehow they have my name as the account holder and his SSN#.  Also the account reported to his credit bureau report but at that time it was with Enhanced Recovery. Now I assume they have sold it to NCO because we sent a DV letter to Enhanced Recovery and they never responded.  Enhanced Recovery is still on his credit report, but they changed the amount due to $35 when it was $160.

My question is,,,should we pay ATT directly? Will this stay off his report if we pay within this 30 time frame?  Can they put this on his credit report with my name?  Should we pay NCO, or request a DV? I am so confused on this one. Please help. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Account has my name BUT his SSN#

First of all, only one CA can collect on a debt at any given time.  If you are receiving dunning notices from NCO, Enhanced Recovery should no longer be on either report. 

Send both CAs a DV.

Ask ATT if you pay them directly will they recall the account from the CA.  Have ATT correct the information on the account.  It should have a name and the corresponding SSN.  You can also ask them who is supposed to be collecting, NCO or ER.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for responding! I appreciate it.

Question:  When I send the DV letter to the CAs do I write the letter as if it's from me (The name on the account) or as if it's from my husband (The SSN# on account)?

Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Is one of the CAs on your husbands CR?  If so, have him send it to that one.

Whatever name is receiving the dunning notices from the other should send it.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much! I appreciate it!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.