cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account in collections with Springleaf/OneMain, but they insist I contact someone else to pay?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Account in collections with Springleaf/OneMain, but they insist I contact someone else to pay?

Hi all.

So I had an old account with Springleaf Financial (opened back in June 2012), that has been reporting on my credit report with a balance of $146.  I have been watching it waiting to see if it gets any updates, and it was updated less than 2 weeks ago (though no changes were made).  So since it's just $146, I call Springleaf (now known as OneMain Financial) to find out more about the account.  They couldn't tell me why I had this balance, but told me that I need to contact some attorney who is collecting on this debt.  They said there might be additional fees (etc) that will have to be paid as well.  

But I'm confused and unsure how I should proceed.  The Collection Account is listed as ONEMAIN, the "Credit Contact Details" are:

ONEMAIN
PO BOX 1010
EVANSVILLE, IN
(844) 298-9773

But when I call them, they say I should call some attorney, William Clarke.  I've sent at least 2 letters over the last year to OneMain to resolve this account, but I never get a response from them (settle for less and a PFD), but I have not contacted this attorney before.  I fear that when I call this attorney, he's going to claim that I have X fees and that $146 that they are trying to collect, is going to turn into $300+.  

What should I do here?  Any advice?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Account in collections with Springleaf/OneMain, but they insist I contact someone else to pay?

A creditor has the right to assign collection activities to a debt collector, and therafter require that you deal only with their debt collector.

Their assigned agent is their representative, so you are in fact legally still dealing with the creditor, although through their legal agent.

Debt collectors are permitted, per FDCPA 808(1), to add additional amounts to the debt if the amount, such as interest or other fees, is authorized in the account agreement that created the debt, or otherwise authorized by law.  You might review your account agreement with the original creditor prior to calling the debt collector.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.