cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account in disupte. Keep sending GW letters?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Account in disupte. Keep sending GW letters?

I sent a GW letter to Macy's and apparently, they put my account in dispute.  Do I keep sending GW letters...or do I just wait for them to do something?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
mschang
Regular Contributor

Re: Account in disupte. Keep sending GW letters?

looks like things are happening so personally i'd wait and see what happens. unfortunately there have been more than a few instances of creditors interpreting GWs as disputes.

what address did you use? i wrote to the address on my CR 3 times and haven't heard back at all.

Starting Score: EQ FICO 588 EX FICO 587 TU FICO 588
Current Score: EQ FICO 660 EX FICO 642 TU FICO 606
Goal Score: 680
Message 2 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

They do that sometimes with a GW.  Just wait a bit and start sending again.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they have erroneously considered a GW as a dispute and reported it as such to the CRA, waiting for their next step is not the option I would recommend.

You now have a pending dispute flag in your credit file, removing certain information from FICO scoring.  You are being harmed.

Dealing with this nasty practice puts the consumer in a catch-22.  Dispute to get an inaccurate dispute removed?  Then you have an accurate dispute....

I would suggest approaching it by an informal letter to them, stating that your GW was not a dispute, and that they should delete their reporting as such.

I would further remind them that if they are truly treating it as a dispute, they are obligated to conclude the direct dispute within 30 days,  either by dismissing it as lacking sufficient supporting documentation, and thus "frivolous or irrelevant," or providing you a formal notice of results of their investigation.

They would then be required to remove the reported pending dispute status.

They cannot simply put a dispute in a state of limbo.

Message 4 of 5
mschang
Regular Contributor

yes i retract my original post -- you should definitely listen to roberteg Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ FICO 588 EX FICO 587 TU FICO 588
Current Score: EQ FICO 660 EX FICO 642 TU FICO 606
Goal Score: 680
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.