Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account listing me as authorized user dragging down my Equifax Beacon 5.0 score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Account listing me as authorized user dragging down my Equifax Beacon 5.0 score

I have a BoA account that, I think, belonged to a long ago ex-gf. It shows up on my report, listing me as an Autorized User. I've tried disputing it a few times, but it's always rejected. It has a bunch of 120 past dues, and was charged off about 5 years ago. I was content to ride it out on it's own, as it wasn't affecting my regular fico 8 score.

However, I'm looking to buy a house soon, and I'm worried that the marked difference between my 8 and 5 scores will mess things up (741 vs 679) as well as all the late payments and the charge off.

I've disputed it again, but I'm honestly at a loss. It very clearly shows me listed as an authrorized user, so I don't know why i'm having so much trouble getting it removed from my account. 

I'm hoping that I can get some tips on how to resolve this. The rest of my report is great, the worst thing is the age of my credit, but that cant be helped.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Account listing me as authorized user dragging down my Equifax Beacon 5.0 score

googling turned up this from experian basically stating if you don't have the responsibility, they will delete.

http://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/2013/12/18/experian-will-removed-delinquent-authorized-us...

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Account listing me as authorized user dragging down my Equifax Beacon 5.0 score

Unfortunately, it doesn't show up on my experian report. Only my equifax, and they have consistantly refused to remove it the last three times I'v disputed. I have no documents to support my position, their listing of the account as "authorized user" should be sufficient to have it removed, but they won't.

Message 3 of 7
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately, it doesn't show up on my experian report. Only my equifax, and they have consistantly refused to remove it the last three times I'v disputed. I have no documents to support my position, their listing of the account as "authorized user" should be sufficient to have it removed, but they won't.

Have you tried contacting BOA directly and advising them of this? That may help. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a lot of the info, so I suppose a call to BoA would be possible.
Message 5 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

file a complaint on EQ if you dont get a positive response from BOA on removing it. You are not legally responsible for the debt and your request for deletion must be honored. The CFPB is who you will file the complaint with   http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update. They responded to my request for removal on the 20th, I guess the stronger tone of my message had an effect, as they removed it this time.

My Equifax 5.0 went from 673 to 730, making it my new mid-range score. 

Thanks for the advice and help.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.