Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account referred to a new collection agency

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Account referred to a new collection agency

Hi All,

After sending two PFDs to Credit Protection Association and not hearing anything, I get something in the mail from a whole new company saying that my Time Warner account was referred to them.  I pulled my EQ and TU and TU is still reporting the old CPA account (EQ is not).  What can I do to get the account deleted from TU?

AND now that CPA no longer has the TW calbe account but this new place does (FFCC Columbus or something) in their letter they state that "all unpaid account COULD be reported to a national credit bureau".  They aren't reporting YET.  Should I go ahead and PIF to avoid being reported or should I DV first then PIF?  I just want to make sure they don't start reporting.

TIA!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Account referred to a new collection agency

bump
Message 2 of 9
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Have you DV'd the new CA?   

Did you DV the old CA?

Do you owe the money to TW?

1.  Establish/determine if you owe the debt.

2.  DV the CA's. 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you DV'd the new CA?   

No, but I'm going to.

Did you DV the old CA?

Never did.

Do you owe the money to TW?

Yes.

1.  Establish/determine if you owe the debt.

2.  DV the CA's.

Shouldn't I just pay it off before they start reporting the account?

Should I just send a letter to the old CA (CPA) and tell them to remove the account from TU since they don't own the debt anymore or should I dispute with TU?

Message 4 of 9
IOBA
Senior Contributor

1.  DV  the current CA OR pay it off, but offer a PIF.

2.  Dispute with TU OR contact old CA & ask to remove.  Smiley Happy 

Message 5 of 9
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

1.  DV  the current CA OR pay it off, but offer a PIF.  IOBA meant, offer PIF for NOT reporting. Get the signed letter from them to NOT report & pay away!!!   Smiley Wink

2.  Dispute with TU OR contact old CA & ask to remove.  Smiley Happy 

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the new CA has legitimately purchased the debt, or been assigned to collect the debt, they are a legit CA.  They have no obligation to report to your CR until until such time of their choosing.

If the new CA posted to your CR, that set a 5-day period for them to provide you formal, written "dunning notice." Did they do this?

You have some more serious, underlying issues to resolve.

What is the DOFD on the OC account?  What is the SOL, and has it expired?

PIF will make legal action go away, but not erase anything from your CR, and thus FICO scoring of this derog.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

If the new CA has legitimately purchased the debt, or been assigned to collect the debt, they are a legit CA.  They have no obligation to report to your CR until until such time of their choosing.

If the new CA posted to your CR, that set a 5-day period for them to provide you formal, written "dunning notice." Did they do this?

You have some more serious, underlying issues to resolve.

What is the DOFD on the OC account?  What is the SOL, and has it expired?

PIF will make legal action go away, but not erase anything from your CR, and thus FICO scoring of this derog.

The DOFD is sometime in June 2008.  It's for a cable bill for which I didn't have a written contract so I think it's 6 years?  It's definitely not past the SOL.

There is nothing on my CR current so it's not affecting my credit score.  They verfied the debt so now I just need to pay it.  Is there any way to guarantee that after I PIF they won't report to the CR as PIF or account satisfied?  Is there such thing as a PIF letter?  I don't need to PFD since nothing is reported.

Message 8 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Send them a PIF with the condition that they agree to make no subsequent posts to your CR regarding the debt in exchange for acceptance of your payment.  A perfectly legal contract. They will take the money in their pocket.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.