cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accounts I didn't activate are reporting! Please Help?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Accounts I didn't activate are reporting! Please Help?

I foolishly opened the following cards before doing the proper research/reading the fine print and closed them almost immediately after I read horror stories/saw the fine print. They however showed up on my CR and I need to get them off asap, because they are reducing my avg account age.

• First Premier CC: Opened one evening, closed the next morning. They hadn't even made/sent the card yet.
  • Applied Bank Secured Card: Closed as soon as I got the card in the mail about a wk later and gott back deposit. Didn't activate the card or make purchases.

So First Premier lied...(surprise!)
They told me to dispute and it would be deleted. I disputed and they verified. I called back and they said that since I paid the application fee the acc was opened and the 1st agent I spoke to was wrong.

No word yet on the Applied Bank dispute but I now have a sinking feeling.....gonna sit tight until they update/delete.

Has anyone had luck removing these types of accounts?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Accounts I didn't activate are reporting! Please Help?

When you apply and they approve, the account is open.

"Activation" is a security measure used to ensure that the consumer has received the card.  Failing to activate does not mean the account was not open.

Message 2 of 19
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I would suggest sending them a GW letter to start with.  Don't go straight to disputes.  Read the thread below.  Good Luck!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

Please critique:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing this letter in order to kindly request your help. I recently canceled a First Premier credit card application in less than 24hrs and did not receive or activate the credit card. 

A FP account  #xxxx has since started reporting to the CRAs. When I spoke to your customer service representative to request a deletion of this tradeline, he told be that it would be removed if I disputed this account with the CRAs, however when I did that, First Premier verified the account.

Since the FP tradeline has started reporting, I have noticed that my credit score is being affected negatively by the addition of this account to my credit report in different ways, since the credit score rating is influenced by the opening of new accounts and by the average age of all accounts, which is in itself affected by opening of new accounts. 

I am kindly asking FP for a courtesy gesture of goodwill to instruct the credit bureaus to remove this charge account, which was opened for less than 24hrs, from my credit reports. 
I would greatly appreciate this deletion as I am currently in the process of trying to rebuild my credit. 

I really appreciate your time and hope to to receive a favorable response soon.

Very Sincerely 

Message 4 of 19
HappySoda
Valued Member

Sounds like a hot mess you got yourself into. You should have just left them active for a little while then closed them out like a normal person with good payments.

What are you freaking out about? There's some crazy fees yes, but no reason for you to freak out and cancel the next day.

It sounds like you're just creating more trouble for yourself by way of being paranoid. Sounds like you are an impulsive person. Activate without knowing the details (impulsive) and then freak out and cancel because you think it's bad for you (impulsive).

Relax dude. Seriously.

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

Please critique:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing this letter in order to kindly request your help. I recently canceled a First Premier credit card application in less than 24hrs and did not receive or activate the credit card. 

A FP account  #xxxx has since started reporting to the CRAs. When I spoke to your customer service representative to request a deletion of this tradeline, he told be that it would be removed if I disputed this account with the CRAs, however when I did that, First Premier verified the account.

Since the FP tradeline has started reporting, I have noticed that my credit score is being affected negatively by the addition of this account to my credit report in different ways, since the credit score rating is influenced by the opening of new accounts and by the average age of all accounts, which is in itself affected by opening of new accounts. 

I am kindly asking FP for a courtesy gesture of goodwill to instruct the credit bureaus to remove this charge account, which was opened for less than 24hrs, from my credit reports. 
I would greatly appreciate this deletion as I am currently in the process of trying to rebuild my credit. 

I really appreciate your time and hope to to receive a favorable response soon.

Very Sincerely 

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your constructive, positive, non-judgmental input.

Message 6 of 19
HappySoda
Valued Member

I'm sorry man. Just stop being so impulsive and think about things before you do them.

Before you do anything else, make sure you understand the repercussions of your actions. If you get a crappy card or credit terms in the future, you could easily just let the card sit there for 6 months, buy a soda now and then and pay it off immediately, then cancel it 6 months down the line. It looks a lot better than an acct that was activated and cancelled the same day.

I do wish you luck in getting these accounts squared away. I truly do hope you find a solution. If all else fails, maybe they will re-activate them for you? Hold onto them for a few months, then cancel them with a good standing. I don't know what else you can do if they won't goodwill.

Message 7 of 19
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

HappySoda,

I believe you've quickly worn out your welcome.  We don't judge here and neither should you!

Do us all a favor and either be nice or leave!

Message 8 of 19
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

@HappySoda wrote:

I'm sorry man. Just stop being so impulsive and think about things before you do them.

Before you do anything else, make sure you understand the repercussions of your actions. If you get a crappy card or credit terms in the future, you could easily just let the card sit there for 6 months, buy a soda now and then and pay it off immediately, then cancel it 6 months down the line. It looks a lot better than an acct that was activated and cancelled the same day.

I do wish you luck in getting these accounts squared away. I truly do hope you find a solution. If all else fails, maybe they will re-activate them for you? Hold onto them for a few months, then cancel them with a good standing. I don't know what else you can do if they won't goodwill.

Hey HappySoda,

Maybe you should stop being so impulsive in your postings!

Message 9 of 19
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Alright, let's get back to the point of the thread and help the OP.

.popcorn.gif

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.