cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accounts fell off one bureau early -- Why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Accounts fell off one bureau early -- Why?

Hi-

Just a quick question.

I'm checing my credit reports and I just noticed that two charged off Bank of America accounts, due to fall off June of 2017 have been removed from my Experian report in the past 6 months.. but they're still on the other two. I haven't disputed or sent GWs since February.

Also, a Sallie Mae student loan, due to fall off July 2018 has been removed from Equifax, but is still on the other two -- again, with no recent disputes or GWs.

Any explanation for this? Does this sometime happen?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Accounts fell off one bureau early -- Why?

Items can be removed in two ways.

Adverse items of information can either be reported by the furnisher as being deleted, or they be excluded by the CRA based on its credit report exclusion date.

Excluded items remain in your credit file... the CRA just ceases to include it an subsequent, normal credit reports they issue. 

An item that is removed with close to two years remaining before its required credit report exclusion date is not likely to have been excluded by the CRA, it was likely deleted by the furnisher.

Creditors can choose to delete with one or more CRAs for admin reasons, such as not having to maintain updates with that CRA.

In the case of charged-off accounts, the creditor may have sold the debt and simply wants to clear out the account reporting and move on. 

You might be on the lookout for the reporting of a collection by a new owner.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Robert-

Thanks for the information and the heads up. I should clarify that the charge-offs have been paid.

Message 3 of 5
crrredit
Established Contributor

Bank of America and other major banks agreed as part of a court settlement last May to correct their reporting of CO accounts in regards to bankruptcies. It's also been reported (NY Times) that BOA has agreed to go even further and remove reporting of any CO account that they have sold since 2007, just to be sure in case those accounts are part of a bankruptcy in the future. I have one of these accounts, and it was removed almost 10 months early by Experian. TU removed it as well, but that was as a result of an early exclusion request by me, six months early. As of today, the BOA CO is still on my Equifax. Reportedly, BOA agreed to remove these accounts by August--so there'a only a couple days left. There's a thread on these boards in the Credit in the News section. You can get the link to the news story.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

This happened to me about 2 months ago.

I had BofA and Cap1 charge offs fall off of my Experian report, which caused my score to jump more than 70 points. Just the Cap1 account fell off my TU report around the same time. Both are still on EQ.  Both of the collections fell off about 4 months ago immediately the SOL, so I doubt (hope not) they'll be showing up again. 

@crrredit wrote:

Reportedly, BOA agreed to remove these accounts by August--so there'a only a couple days left.

I had not heard about this, but that would be awesome! If it happens, should give my TU a significant boost as, short of that CO, is my "best" report.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.