cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acknowledging the Monster in the Room-Advice?!?

tag
megsamol

Acknowledging the Monster in the Room-Advice?!?

Hi all- Been reading posts for  just a little while now, keeping track of mine and my husband's fico scores. I haven't really done much up to this point, I guess I felt afraid to start the process. For the longest time I didn't even have an idea what my ficos were and the way I dealt with negative stuff whether it was accurate or not was to throw it in the trash since for a long time there were no funds and we were dealing with putting our life back together after a flood left us homeless and stretched financially. I recently decided to take the plunge and clean things up once and for all since I am finally able to deal with stuff . I'm lucky enough that a lot of things have aged and it is more manageable now but it is still hard to be sure of what do to, even with all the posts I've been reading. Our goal is a home( not in a flood zone) and better credit scores.  Would anyone who has experience with this offer me some advice? or correct me?  Smiley Happy 

Here is the Bad-

Me:

Student Loan-was Suntrust now with Nelnet serviced through ACS)- $4124 ( current some lates from 09',10')

Sallie Mae Private Loan -$3567 org bal $2990 (Charged Off sent PFD)

Collection $99(Sent PFD)

Collection $503  (DV'd said they would delete wasn't mine)

Husband:

4 Listings for Student Loans all $0 -Paid thru Ins/Settlement (Figured nothing could be done about these will fall off in 2015)

Medical Collection -$1300 (Sent PFD) on CR

GM Financial disputed in April and verified - $4560 - car was totaled in flood this was balance after ins(Sent PFD)

He also has 2 old medical bills I tried to pay but the OC said they were sent to collections and could not be recalled. Not sure what to do about that. Edit: not on CR yet

I have one CC low util, one auto never late, one student loan paid off never late, one student loan never late. He has 2 CC low util, one lease never late, and a bunch of CC closed by creditor never late. scored are around 660s for both of us not sure if accurate on his because of dispute 

Any advice is very much appreciated. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Acknowledging the Monster in the Room-Advice?!?

You're on the right track. 

Aside from what you are doing already, you can always send a DV to the medical CA. There's always a risk of them reporting whether or not you send the DV. Certainly re-contact the OC and ask for billing info from them so that you can match it up with whatever the CA provides, assuming they respond.

Message 2 of 4
megsamol

Thanks for your response! So if the medical collection hasn't reported should I try to send a settlement? Or leave it till they contact me?
Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If I had that, I would make the assumption they will report and therefore I would send a DV first. This doesn't always happen, but some folks have settled with a non-reporting CA only to have that CA later report with a $0 balance which hurts.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.