Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add another card now or wait?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Add another card now or wait?

OK, I've got a pretty ugly file with recent judgments, a BK7 from 2007, several collections, some paid some unpaid. My scores are 597/580/555 via lender pull two weeks ago.

On the positive side I have an Auto loan, never late, two Cap One cards, that just had the limits raised this month from 300/500 to 800/1500, and a Fingerhut account (400) thats reporting each month but has not been used.

Here's my question - Do you think I would see an immediate bump from adding another card (eyeing the QS1 for the rewards)? I'd like to get over 600 midscore so I can prequal for a VA mortgage.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Add another card now or wait?

@Anonymous wrote:

OK, I've got a pretty ugly file with recent judgments, a BK7 from 2007, several collections, some paid some unpaid. My scores are 597/580/555 via lender pull two weeks ago.

On the positive side I have an Auto loan, never late, two Cap One cards, that just had the limits raised this month from 300/500 to 800/1500, and a Fingerhut account (400) thats reporting each month but has not been used.

Here's my question - Do you think I would see an immediate bump from adding another card (eyeing the QS1 for the rewards)? I'd like to get over 600 midscore so I can prequal for a VA mortgage.

I dont see it as immediate as you have your 3 open revolving accounts, over time it will help. I think I would try to PC one of those Cap-1s you have to the QS1 (if they are not secureds). If you have open disputes or updates that have yet to post I would hold off on apping for any further credit until the dust clears.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Add another card now or wait?

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I dont see it as immediate as you have your 3 open revolving accounts, over time it will help. I think I would try to PC one of those Cap-1s you have to the QS1 (if they are not secureds). If you have open disputes or updates that have yet to post I would hold off on apping for any further credit until the dust clears.

Thats kind of what I was thinking.

I don't have any open dispute items, other than old addresses I'm dumping. I do have some stuff I'm trying to negotiate PFD's for, and I just paid AT&T over the phone (I know, I know) stressing that i needed it removed, not updated. If they update I'll call back and raise hell and demand they pull the recording.

I'm just trying to get some more points fast as I'd like to try to get out of this apartment by May when my lease is up.

I hadn't really thought about trying the PC angle. Both cards are several years old, not secured. One is a Platinum card, the other is a converted Orchard Bank card. One has a pretty good payment history, with only one 30 day late from 5/2013 and the other has five lates from 3/2013 to 7/2013.  5/2013 was when I started back to work after being laid off. I was able to pay enough to keep it open and out of charge off, but not enough to catch it up until 7/13, so I ended up with a 30, a 60 and three 90's on that account. I know Cap One is really stingy with GW, so I have not really approached that one yet. I'd have to sit down a write out a real tear jerker of a letter with a combination of old yeller dying of rabies and bambie's mom getting shot. Not sure I'm that talented.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.