Established Member
CreditByte

Adding as an Authorized User to AMEX?

Hi,

I was curious if you are added to someone's Amex cc as an authorized user does it help you?

Thank you!

:smileytongue:

"Chapter 7 Bankruptcy (05/17/2011)"
Starting Score: EQ 557, TU 544, EX 562
Current Score: EQ 621, TU 601, EX 599 (06/13/2011)
Goal Score: 700
Capital One - No Hassle Cash Rewards CC
Orchard Bank credit card (high interest rate) Not using

Regular Contributor
daylove

Re: Adding as an Authorized User to AMEX?

It helps your score if the primary account holder is in good standing and PIF or keep his/her credit usage low.

Moderator Emeritus
MarineVietVet

CreditByte wrote:

Hi,

I was curious if you are added to someone's Amex cc as an authorized user does it help you?

Thank you!

:smileytongue:

Yes it can help you IF the account is older than any of yours (older than your current AAoA is even better), IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. You will inherit the entire history of this account. One caveat however; if this account starts to go south your credit will be affected as well. Keep that in mind.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Established Member
CreditByte

[ Edited ]

Thanks. Yes well its a family member with at least 15+ years of excellent credit. 700-800+.. I just dont see how i will ever get an Amex in the future with a BK... Just hoping to build eventually.

:::hopes:::

Also, I have 2 unsecurred credit cards, if anyone feels that a Securred credit card is extra helpful since you can build your credit line please let me know. Thank you.

"Chapter 7 Bankruptcy (05/17/2011)"
Starting Score: EQ 557, TU 544, EX 562
Current Score: EQ 621, TU 601, EX 599 (06/13/2011)
Goal Score: 700
Capital One - No Hassle Cash Rewards CC
Orchard Bank credit card (high interest rate) Not using

Valued Contributor
rckstrscott

Creditbyte;

Their personal credit rating is irrelevant. Just because their credit score is high, doesn't mean the balance on that card is low.

Prime example; my ex girlfriend was doing really well for herself. She had really low util in general, because she had high limits and low balance.. great credit score.. She added me on a card several years before we broke up, and it did nothing because she added me to the one card she carried higher balance on. She did this because she figured, well, its the card with the lowest amount of avail money so it saves us all..

It didn't help me at all.. haha

Lesson here: Make sure that CARD is carrying a low balance to limit ratio, don't worry about their credit score.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: 10/10: TU 498 | EQ: 502 Current FICO Score(lender pull): 05/12: TU: 722 | EQ: 712 | EX: 686
Collections Removed: Hunter Warfield, CBE Group, Merchants Credit Guide, EOS-CCA, Enhanced Recovery, Portfolio Recovery, UCB, American Collection Company, Medical Business Bureau, Jefferson Capital, Credit Portfolio Associates, FCO, LVNV, Convergent, Armor Systems
Other Negative Entries Removed:Plains Commerce CO, HSBC CO, 2008 Judgment Santander Reposession

Still Working On: Illinois Paid Tax Lien,
Positive Accounts:10/10: 0 | 07/12: 6 | Mortgage Closed 5/12, Macy's AMEX $3900, Citi/Home Depot $2000, Capital One Cash Rewards $1500, Capital One Secured $500, Credit One Bank $500. Total Utilization: 6%. AAoA: 1yr, 7mth. INQS: 8 TU, 8 EQ, 4 EX

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+