Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding authorized users to build their credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding authorized users to build their credit

My two youngest sons are early 20s with no credit.  I just added them as authorized users on a few of my cards in the hopes of building them some credit.  I pay off my cards every few months and make double payments between.  Do my cards report to the credit bureau as if they are theirs?  How long will it take for them to establish credit by being an authorized user?  Once they get credit of their own, how long should I wait before removing them as authorized users?

I added them to the following:

Chevron ($600)

Shell ($800)

Barclays MC ($1300)

Target ($800)

Chase Visa ($500)

Bank of America Visa ($1500)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Adding authorized users to build their credit

I am not a proponent of using someone else's credit for building/rebuilding purposes.

I started my daughter on her credit journey by giving her $300 to be used to get a secured credit card. She did. Six months later, she was apporved for a Best Buy credit card. Now she's got two tradelines ... all on her own name. I recommend that you consider doing the same. Easy as pie.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Adding authorized users to build their credit

Yes, they will report to his credit file as if they were his own.

I wont pass judgment on the AU process itself, as it is available if one so chooses......

Authorizer user status is a great way to build new credit where the prospective creditor does not do a manual review.

That is common for lower CL cards or lower princiapl loans where the risk is relatively low, so the creditor does not wish to inest  lot in the app process.

However, once the consumer has established their own credit, it may be wise to drop the AU accounts, even if they are contiuing to help his or her score.

By definition, whenever a credit report shows an AU, the resulting score is not representative of only that consumer's credit history.

As the type and amount of credit increases, prospective creditors are more likely to do a manual review, and if they they do, seeing an AU accpint may cause them to put into question the entire value of the credit score in their determination.

Great for building/rebuilding, but can become a negative when better or higher credit is sought.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.