Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding more deposit to secured credit card

tag
meehan22
Frequent Contributor

Re: Adding more deposit to secured credit card

Thanks for your insight. Smiley Happy 

I think i'll just continue to monitor, dispute, and get fight to get all oldies off sooner if possible and continue to wait it out. 

My hope one day is to buy my first home ASAP. And I dont think 2 secured credit cards will show the balances and payment history for a bank to give me a loan once the baddies fall off. Thats where my thought of a couple grand secured card came in. 

Wallet: Chase $6,000 - Discover $1,500 - Walmart $2,200 - Voyage FCU $1,300 - Zales $2,300 - Elan Fin: $12,500(AU, reporting) - Chase $8,500 (AU, reporting) 1% UTL
Message 11 of 19
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

I understand the reasoning, for sure. But I think that you may be able to get a CC that will be able to grow with you sooner than you think (without costing you a ton of money). And congrats on the house goal! You're already taking steps to make that a reality, and that's awesome.

Message 12 of 19
meehan22
Frequent Contributor

Thank you! And something like taking out a secured personal loan of a few grand or more from my credit union and paying it off in 6 months would or wouldn't help? I am willing to fork out just about any kind of money if it helps within the next 6-12 months so I have a decent enough TL's to show my bank for a mortgage. 

Wallet: Chase $6,000 - Discover $1,500 - Walmart $2,200 - Voyage FCU $1,300 - Zales $2,300 - Elan Fin: $12,500(AU, reporting) - Chase $8,500 (AU, reporting) 1% UTL
Message 13 of 19
abzze
Valued Member

Are you doing this so you can buy a house the day all baddies are off?

Then I guess your line of thinking might be right.

Installment loans don't affect the score much, but it adds to payment history on file and

makes your case more credible in eyes of a lender.

As for CC, see if your current CC will give you CLI with a soft pull

Message 14 of 19
meehan22
Frequent Contributor

As soon as possible when the baddies fall off. They have already started to and should be all off within the year. I made my mistakes thankfully all at once. I want to apply sooner than a year as well but like to have something more than a $500 secured and a $300 secured card to show for it. I dont think a bank will give me a 60-90k loan with just that showing. But maybe they would and I am not giving myself enough credit. 

Message 15 of 19
meehan22
Frequent Contributor

I also did not know that Cap1 reports secured cards as just a regular credit card, is this true? The limt is 3k as well on them secured cards. 
Somewhere I have it in my mind that when I go to the bank to get my home loan I better have a decent TL on there. 
Also with a TL of 2-3k wouldn't that make it easier in 6-12 months times to apply and get some decent unsecured cards? 

Message 16 of 19
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@meehan22 wrote:

I also did not know that Cap1 reports secured cards as just a regular credit card, is this true? The limt is 3k as well on them secured cards. 
Somewhere I have it in my mind that when I go to the bank to get my home loan I better have a decent TL on there. 
Also with a TL of 2-3k wouldn't that make it easier in 6-12 months times to apply and get some decent unsecured cards? 

Cap1 doesn't report secured cards as secured cards, they just show up as credit cards. And yes, some lenders will be more willing to extend certain CLs when they see that someone else has done so already.

Message 17 of 19
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

Heres a list of unsecured sites that have a pre-aprroval link to see if you could get a card with out actually taking a hard pull.

I am rebuilding and I check these often.

Citihttps://www.citi.com/credit-cards/creditcards/CitiHome.do
captial onewww.capitalone.com
chasehttps://creditcards.chase.com/?fcsplit=1
discoverhttps://www.discovercard.com/cardmembersvcs/acqs/app/chooseMyOffer/findMyOffer?beyond=it&
BOAhttps://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/customized-offers/find-customized-offer.go?subchannel=ECV...
Barclayshttps://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/ProactivePrescreenLanding.action
From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 18 of 19
meehan22
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for that information as well!
I am taking a look at my Nov 2013 report and it seems like there should be a huge clean up by the time I see my Feb 2014 update I hope a majority of them have fallen off.

I have a mess of cards that were closed October 07-January of 2008. So with the statue of limits being 6 years it should be coming off now. Or are old closed down, settled credit cards not the same as collection accounts? Like to see these guys completely gone. Or since they were settled and eventually paid off they will continue to report for 10 years? 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.