cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding positive information to credit report.

tag
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

Adding positive information to credit report.

Positive payment information is supposed to stay on your credit report forever.  hat if it doesn't? Can you have it added?  I bought a house in 1976 and paid it off in 1992 but it doesn't show on my reports.  The CRAs keep complaining I don't have a mortage and using that factor against me. How can I show a paid-in-ful mortgage on my report?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Adding positive information to credit report.

You can't. Positive accounts stay on for up to 10 years since paid and closed. It has expired.
Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

My mortgage was pif 2004 and it fell off EQ and TU last year. I burst into tears.
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Unsure whether ther pror mortgage loan ever reported, but if it did and is now gone, there are two possible reasons.

Any creditor who has reported information to a CRA always has the option of simply deleting their account at any time.

Once an account is closed that has been reported to a CRA, the creditor still has a continuing obligation to maintain the accuracy of that reporting, and additionally, should the consumer file a dispute over any information that was previously reported on the account, to investigate and respond to the dispute.  By simply deleting the account, any future responsibilities that could arise under the FCRA simply vanish.  A matter of Good Housekeeping. 

The other way a closed account can be deleted is based on the totally arbitrary and subjective policy of the CRAs to also do their own Good Houskeeping after the account has been closed for a substantial period of time.  Once more than 7'ish years have passed, most adverse information that may have been reported has most likely passed its credit report exclusion period, so the CRA is prohbited from providing that information in any credit report they issue.  Thus, their credirt reports on the account will not provide complete information, and they assume deletion thus will have no adverse impact on their clients, and will allow them to recoup data storage space.  Approx ten years after account closing safely clears almost all exclusion periods, and thus seems to be the time period driving their subjective deletion.

Bottom line is that no one wants to retain informattion with little vaue forever.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.