Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Needed about 2 Charge-Offs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice Needed about 2 Charge-Offs

As a novice in the area of credit rebuilding, I would greatly appreciate your advice about a serious problem regarding my daughter's credit situation.  She is in her early twenties, living on her own, and has had two credit cards with Citibank for approximately two years each.  Her payments on each card were timely until November 2010, after which she was unable to make payments for a few months.  By the time she contacted Citibank in February to make payment, one card had a balance of almost $2800, was 120 days late, and had been charged-off/closed just 5 days before her call.  She was offered a settlement of 65% which she accepted and paid on February 28.  After we learned from this forum about the option of making GW/PFD requests as a means of rebuilding credit, she thought about sending a PFD letter to Citibank offering to pay the balance, or an acceptable portion thereof, if the account could be deleted from her credit files.

At the time of her call to Citibank in mid-February, the second card had a balance of about $1700 and was 92 days overdue.  She immediately paid the total balance due on this account, but was told that it might still be subject to adverse action at some future time because it was already in pre-litigation (“in a liquidation portfolio in the escalation department”).   Unfortunately, this account was closed by Citibank on March 4 and when she inquired about the reason, she was told it was mainly due to the delinquency of the other account that had been charged off.

Although the chance of having these two charge-offs removed from my daughter’s credit files is probably very slim, we would nevertheless like to attempt to do so over a period of time and need advice as to the best way to attempt this and in what sequence?   As mentioned above, she had originally planned to send a PFD letter regarding the first charge-off for which she had paid the settlement.  However, now that the second account has been closed due to the charge-off of the first, we have the following questions (BTW, she has no other credit cards, etc.):

1.   Would it make more sense to initially send a GW letter requesting deletion of the second account, describing the personal reasons for the delay in payment and stressing the fact that the balance had been paid in full while the account was still active and only 92 days past due?  If  this letter were successful, how long should she wait and what else might she do before sending the PFD letter requesting deletion of the first account that was charged off?

2.   Alternatively, would it be better to try to have the first account deleted prior to the second account?  Or should she send one letter requesting consideration of both accounts at the same time?

3.   Is it preferable to mail her GW or PFD letter to Citi Cards at the Sioux Falls address, or directly to the Vice President whose name appears on the letter we received confirming the terms of the settlement offer?

Thanks very much for any assistance you can provide in helping us navigate this unfamiliar territory!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Tooliebell
Frequent Contributor

Re: Advice Needed about 2 Charge-Offs

I will only speak from my experience.  I had a number of charge offs that resulted from a job loss.  I paid all of the charged off balances in either a settlement of in full.  This was prior to my finding this forum, so I did not request any PFDs.  I found this forum just a month or two after I had made payments.  I immediately began requesting deletions via GW requests and was very unsuccessful.  I have just begun the process of GW letters to all creditors again, now 9-12 months after the date of payment, and almost 2 years after the date of charge off.  I have been much more successful now.  Which leads me to believe there is a certain amount of time that must pass before the creditor will look at a GW deletion.  This is only from my experience.

My advice would be, to send a GW letter now.  It doesn't cost anything to try and you might get lucky.  If you get no's, wait a few months and try again.  I would send a GW letter once every couple months if you are unsuccessful in your first attempt.  Make sure she is making timely payments on everything else she has and her rebuild will move along faster than you think.  Believe me, this is a long haul!  But worth it.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto to Tooliebell. You likely won't be successful during your first few rounds of GW requests, but you'll never know unless you try.

IMO, I'd send seperate GW requests on each. I'd send it to any and all of their corporate addresses. It won't hurt to try the VP at some point in time, though, IMO, only try once per year max.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much for sharing your experience!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

To llecs:

Thanks for your advice.  A couple of more questions, please:

1.  When you suggest sending separate GW requests for each card, is a GW request suitable for the card for which my daughter has only paid the settlement offer or should she in this case send a PFD letter indicating her willingness to pay the remaining balance not included in the settlement if this account can be deleted?  Or  should she perhaps first try a GW request for this card and if not successful, try the PFD approach?

2.  Do you suggest sending separate letters about both accounts at the same time or in a certain sequence?

Thanks very much for another reply.

Message 5 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

To llecs:

Thanks for your advice.  A couple of more questions, please:

1.  When you suggest sending separate GW requests for each card, is a GW request suitable for the card for which my daughter has only paid the settlement offer or should she in this case send a PFD letter indicating her willingness to pay the remaining balance not included in the settlement if this account can be deleted?  Or  should she perhaps first try a GW request for this card and if not successful, try the PFD approach?

2.  Do you suggest sending separate letters about both accounts at the same time or in a certain sequence?

Thanks very much for another reply.

I'd send a GW. They agreed to the payment and therefore a $0 balance is owed in their eyes. IMO, you'd have a better shot at GWing than a PFD. Saves $$$ too. Except for Amex doing some oddball things through their Optima (or whatever it is called) program, I cannot recall any success stories of a PFD after a settlement with any creditor.

It wouldn't send the GWs on the same day. I'd stagger for each TL over a few days. If sent at once, it could go to the same mailroom CSR and you wouldn't want that.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

To llecs:  Thanks for the additional info!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.