Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Needed about Charge-Off and GW vs. PFD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice Needed about Charge-Off and GW vs. PFD

Greetings!  As a new member of this community and a novice in the world of GWs, PFDs, etc., I would greatly appreciate your advice about a serious problem regarding my daughter's credit situation. She is in her early twenties, living on her own, and has had two credit cards with Citibank for approximately two years each. Her payments on each card, which were subsidized by me, were timely until November 2010 after which I sold some stock in part to help her pay off both cards. However, there was a delay in my receiving the proceeds of the sale and then in transmitting the needed funds to her, so that by the time she contacted Citibank in February to make payment, one card had a balance of about $1700 and was 90 days overdue, while the other account had a balance of $2700, was 120 days late, had been charged-off/closed just 4 days prior to her call, and is currently awaiting transfer from Citibank to a lawyer. My daughter immediately paid the total balance due on the open account, but was told that it might still be subject to adverse action at some future time because it was already “in a liquidation portfolio in the escalation department.” We are also willing to pay off the entire balance of the closed account but have several questions about the best way to deal with this urgent situation, namely:

1. Would it be preferable for us to (1) pay the entire charge-off and then send Citibank a GW letter requesting that the account be removed from my daughter’s credit report?, OR (2) pay a settlement amount and then send a GW requesting that the account be removed from the report?, OR (3) pay a settlement amount and then send a PFD letter indicating our willingness to pay the remaining balance? In the latter case, can we request a PFD even if the debt is not being disputed?

2. Regardless of which type of letter might be best, is it premature for us to send one at this time, since there has been no opportunity as yet to demonstrate renewed and consistent responsibility in making timely payments?

3. I am very distraught over my partial responsibility in precipitating this serious credit problem for my daughter and would be glad to send such a GW or PFD letter myself, clarifying my role and sense of responsibility, etc. However, would it be more appropriate and effective for my daughter to send the letter and to indicate that I encouraged her to do so? Also, if I were to send the letter, would they check my credit score (not good) and take that into consideration?

4. Is there anything we can do at this time, in our written communication with Citibank, to minimize the possibility that the bank might take adverse action on the other account which is still active but was 90 days overdue at the time we paid the full balance? Or is it better not to refer to this account at all in the proposed letter dealing with the charged-off account?

5. With regard to my daughter’s future judicious use of the remaining active card, I understand that her monthly charges should be modest in relation to the credit limit, but for the sake of averting adverse action by the bank, is it preferable for her to pay off the entire amount each month or to let a small amount of interest charges accrue and be paid?

6. Does a successful outcome for a GW or PFD letter jeopardize one’s future ability to obtain a new credit card from the same bank, even a secured card?

I apologize for this lengthy posting, which is a sure sign of my lack of knowledge and experience in this area, and would be very grateful for any assistance you can provide. Many thanks for your forbearance!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advice Needed about Charge-Off and GW vs. PFD

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc. If I was in that same situation, I would send a PFD letter and I would call offering the same (though I wouldn't act upon it unless they sent a written acceptance...I would not trust what they say over the phone). If after 2-3 attempts resulted in anything but an acceptance of the PFD offer, I would PIF and then send GWs at a later date. This is my 2 cents, but if the PFD doesn't work, then PIF would improve your odds of a GW acceptance over a settlement. Same applies to offering a dollar amount within the PFD. Your odds of approval go up as you approach 100% of the balance owed. I would have her send it since she's the account holder (assumption here). They won't check your credit if you communicated with them. Assume that AA will happen on the other. I'd PIF monthly and if they do decrease the CL it can certainly increase again in the future with active use and timely payments. Treat both accounts separately. A GW or PFD probably won't jeopordize anything. They internally keep track of past history.

ETA pardon the typesetting. There are supposed to be several paragraphs in there. Still haven't figured out HTML and the iPad.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

Welcome to the forums!

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc. If I was in that same situation, I would send a PFD letter and I would call offering the same (though I wouldn't act upon it unless they sent a written acceptance...I would not trust what they say over the phone). If after 2-3 attempts resulted in anything but an acceptance of the PFD offer, I would PIF and then send GWs at a later date. This is my 2 cents, but if the PFD doesn't work, then PIF would improve your odds of a GW acceptance over a settlement. Same applies to offering a dollar amount within the PFD. Your odds of approval go up as you approach 100% of the balance owed. I would have her send it since she's the account holder (assumption here). They won't check your credit if you communicated with them. Assume that AA will happen on the other. I'd PIF monthly and if they do decrease the CL it can certainly increase again in the future with active use and timely payments. Treat both accounts separately. A GW or PFD probably won't jeopordize anything. They internally keep track of past history.

ETA pardon the typesetting. There are supposed to be several paragraphs in there. Still haven't figured out HTML and the iPad.

To "llecs":  Thanks so much for your prompt and very helpful reply to my lengthy inquiry.  I certainly have come to the right place for assistance in resolving this problem! 

I have a couple of additional questions which I opted to send to you in a private message, so I look forward to receiving a reply to that email at your earliest convenience.

Many thanks for your generous assistance!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

Welcome to the forums!

Common Abbreviations

To "llecs":  Thanks so much for your prompt and very helpful reply to my lengthy inquiry.  I certainly have come to the right place for assistance in resolving this problem! 

I have a few additional questions which will help me to clarify your reply:

1.  In our telephone communications with the Citi rep up until now, she has offered us a settlement amount for this CO account.  In view of this, should our PFD negotiations with her start by our first paying the proposed settlement amount upfront (I'm certainly willing to do that to show good faith to resolve this situation quickly), and then exploring with her the possibility of a PFD arrangement if we pay a suitable (or entire) portion of the balance?  Or should we not first pay the settlement amount before initiating the PFD discussion with her?

2.  If you advise us to pay the settlement amount upfront before discussing PFD options, then In our continuing telephone conversation with the Citi rep (or in our later written communication with a Citi officer if needed) is it better to specify an amount (from the remaining balance) that we are willing to pay to enable removal of the account from my daughter's credit report, or to ask them in a more open-ended way whether there is any additional amount we could pay that would enable this?  In truth, I am willing to pay the full amount to resolve this situation, but is it preferable not to indicate this from the outset?

3.  If the Citi telephone rep is willing to work with us on a PFD agreement, then I understand that we should request a letter documenting this agreement before we make payment.   If she is not authorized to make such an agreement, then we should send a PFD letter to a Citi officer/manager requesting the same and if successful, request a confirming letter before making payment.

4.  If the PFD approach is unsuccessful after a few tries, you have recommended that we should PIF and try the GW approach through a letter to Citi officers.  In this case, is there any reason to wait a while after paying in full before sending the GW letter?  Will Citi look at her current credit report before replying to the GW request?  If so, my daughter has only one other credit card (also Citi) which, as I mentioned in my original inquiry to the forum, was recently 90 days overdue and for which we just paid the full balance due ($1700).  Would it help the GW request if she waited to make a few timely payments on the active account before sending the GW?

Your reply to this inquiry would be greatly appreciated as we are eager to make some payment towards the CO, especially since we were told by the Citi rep that the account is due to be sent to a lawyer at this time.  Thanks once again for all your generous assistance!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.