Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Needed

tag
dheather00
Valued Member

Advice Needed

Hello!

I am working on repairing my credit, and I could use a little advise because I can't decide.  Should I focus on paying down my credit cards first, and then focus on PFD on the few collections I have left?  I am starting my goodwill letters for the few items that I have already paid.  

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Advice Needed

I would definitely pay down my CC debt first.  Utilization can be a score killer and takes the least amount of time to work on.

Message 2 of 4
dheather00
Valued Member

Thanks for the advice!  That's what I'll do!

Message 3 of 4
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@dheather00 wrote:

Hello!

I am working on repairing my credit, and I could use a little advise because I can't decide.  Should I focus on paying down my credit cards first, and then focus on PFD on the few collections I have left?  I am starting my goodwill letters for the few items that I have already paid.  

Thanks!

When I first started, I placed a larger emphasis on collection/charged-off accounts.  At the time, my collection/charged off accounts were still relatively new and in my opinion were the biggest drag on my scores.  I was able to negotiate settlements for pennies on the dollar. 

Notably, this was a calculated strategy.  During this time, creditors were slashing credit lines and closing accounts right and left.  Despite a few bad accounts, I had a sizeable credit line with Citibank that had always been paid on time.  My fear was that if I changed my spending or payment patterns, it would have prompted an internal account review and Citi would have slashed my credit line or worse case scenario closed my account. 

For this reason, I paid off all my bad accounts first so that in the event my Citi account was negatively impacted, I had some leverage to negotiate in good faith.  

Lastly, before finding this forum, I was unaware of the PFD option.  However, all of my collection/charged-off accounts now have a $0 balance and have aged.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.