Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Needed

tag
A1Credit
Established Contributor

Advice Needed

I am in the process of disputing a collection.  I previously sent a letter asking for validation of the debt.  I received a letter and a couple months of statements in return for validation.  My issue is that there were only 4 statement months but jumped from one year to the next.  I am trying to find out when the date of my first delinquency but it is hard to tell from the statements they have given.  What should I do next?  

The second time they sent me statements, they did not match the amount they said I owe.  Either they forgot to send a statement with that amount or they lost it.  I'm confused.  The date for removal of the collection is different on every report.

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Advice Needed

If you seek the DOFD, the debt validation process is not the proper process. 

To dispute the accuracy of the reported DOFD, you first need to know what the reported date is.

Unlike a DV request, which does not have to identify a specific reported inaccuracy, a dispute under the FCRA requires identification of a specific inaccuracy.

You can check annualcreditreport.com or order a report directly from the CRA, which usually include the reported DOFD.

Individual CRAs can provide different estimated exclusion dates for a collection, even if the reported DOFD is the same.

That alone is not basis for disputing the accuracy of the reported DOFD.

Message 2 of 4
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@I am looking at my annual reports for all three bureaus  and the only one that gives me the DOFD is Equifax.  It states Aug 2013 but the with the information that the debt buyer provided, I am not able to tell if this is accurate.  I need to know the actual date.  @RobertEG

@RobertEG wrote:

If you seek the DOFD, the debt validation process is not the proper process. 

To dispute the accuracy of the reported DOFD, you first need to know what the reported date is.

Unlike a DV request, which does not have to identify a specific reported inaccuracy, a dispute under the FCRA requires identification of a specific inaccuracy.

You can check annualcreditreport.com or order a report directly from the CRA, which usually include the reported DOFD.

Individual CRAs can provide different estimated exclusion dates for a collection, even if the reported DOFD is the same.

That alone is not basis for disputing the accuracy of the reported DOFD.

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You have three years before it becomes relevant to actual exclusion.

You can always send in a formal request to the CRA under FCRA 609(a), which requires the CRA to provide any info of record in your file at the time of the request.

Section 609(a) requests must be accompanied by proof of identity along with the current processing fee of $12.00.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.