Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Needed

tag
DueDilligence
Contributor

Advice Needed

I have been on the path to rebuilding my cedit score. I obtained a secured credit card 11 months ago and have been making timely payments on that card and my school loans (never missed one payment). I have two collections that are four years old or greater that equal a sum of $450.00. Ive been conscious of credit utilization and debt to income ratios and have had no hard inquiries in the past two years. My question is should I pay off these collections? I've been researching this and have been coming up with contrary information.

An individual I spoke with reported that by having these accounts in collection they are leaving my credit stagnat. and went on to say that my credit score is increasing but not how it would with no deragotories (These collections I speak of are 4-5 years old). Then I hear individuals say that it will drop my credit score and have more of an impact than leaving it there.

My following thoughts are, okay it will impact my score, but will my score recover quickly and continue to grow at a faster pace than if I would of just left the accounts unpaid.

My biggest concerns are will creditors deny me primaryly because I have derogatories irregardless of my credit score?

To follow up with all this being said, if this is the case, I just rather pay the derogatories, take the temporary hit and watch my credit score grow. To conclude, if this is the case, I wish I just would of paid them a long time ago. Instead of looking at the whole situation as there's no point in doing so, because it would just drop my score.

If anyone has some genuine insight they can give it will be highly appreciated. Thanks to who contribute and have read this......

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice Needed

I would contact the collections company and offer a PFD (pay for delete) and that could defintiely improve your score.  Also you need some kind of revolving credit, go onto Capital One Pre-Qual website and see if you qualify, my guess would be probably yes.  These two things alone will help increase your score.  Remember to keep your utilization under 30% and under 9% when your statement cuts.  

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying the collections will not keep lenders from seeing them on your credit report. They will be closed accounts but will remain a negative mark until 7 years is up. PFD would be the best way to eliminate the problem now. If theu are going to fall off soon then waiting for this could be a better option.
Message 3 of 22
score_raiser

Pfd is what my morgage banker told me to do. Which is what we did. Took some time but with rapid rescore was ok for morgage. According to morgage credit score simulator, credit score significantly went up with pfd. Just settling accounts for us amounted 50 point difference than pfd... I was in same boat as you.. Co from years back, 2 yrs good payment history since..but had to fight with one ca.. Other ones went smoothly, Bussiness as usual for them...after pfd old accounts scores went from low 600s to 700s all three bureaus.. Spouse went from 550s to 689... Worked well. Hope that helps....
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score-raised was this a debt that was under 7 years old?
Message 5 of 22
score_raiser

Oc was co 6 yrs ago.. Ca were 4 yrs. I couldn't do anything about oc. Ca were pfd. Most were easy..I settled at higher $ for delete a we had serious goal and we had $.. One was was nasty and took a little more time.. Between me and spouse we had 5 ca together from credit card screw ups. Numerous medical ca.. My morgage broker said not to worry about medical because they could get us financed with them open.. But we did settle them anyways.. Fha loan went fine with oc reporting co with 0 balance.. Ca gone.. As for the good we had in file, 2 yrs car loan, current house loan on time, many numerous like 12 cc current for year. Banker did tell me to pay current cc down to $10 for maximum credit score benefit.. We got everything in writing I terms of agreement of deletion. Paid accounts same day. Faxed receipts and paperwork to banker. Once all accounts were settled banker did rapid rescore. We got approved. It's possible but it was a money game. Total debt on credit file for us was only 3900 and it cost us 2700.. Not big savings. But best money I ever spent.. Did it in month as we originally apped over Christmas..
Message 6 of 22
score_raiser

I also had paid judgement 2013. Spouse had unpaid judgement from 2011 that we just settled.. Banker told us to lie as much as we had to during negotiations for settlements and not to get mad or emotional. Our scores were horrible in December. Banker told us we had what they wanted-$. They did settle. But to get best results on scores, we paid more for removal. Better interest rate. We really wanted new house and the banker was very helpful. The people on this site are spot on to.
Message 7 of 22
DueDilligence
Contributor

To the one account in particular I offered a pay for delete. The person told me that they are required by law to report accurateinformation. I told the creditor, "that I would think the motivation they have to report me to the credit bureaus is to get paid." Without going into too much specifics regarding this collection, the creditor knows that I am not in agreeance with the collection and that I believe that it is truly enitrely unfair that this account is in collection. That I never had any inclination that I had this outstanding debt up until it was in collection with a 150% increase to the amount it was originally.

I never followed up afterwards due to being frusterated with the whole outcome. I was wondering if there are any following thoughts by anyone out there regarding this and what course of action one would take? This account will be past reporting expiration in the beginning of next year.

The only reason I am concerned right now regarding all of this is because my gradation date will be coming up soon for my secured card and I want to apply for a mortgage real soon.

Thanks to all who have gave support and continue to give support.

Respectfully,

DueDilligence

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DueDilligence wrote:

I have been on the path to rebuilding my cedit score. I obtained a secured credit card 11 months ago and have been making timely payments on that card and my school loans (never missed one payment). I have two collections that are four years old or greater that equal a sum of $450.00. Ive been conscious of credit utilization and debt to income ratios and have had no hard inquiries in the past two years. My question is should I pay off these collections. I've been researching this and have been coming up with contrary information.

An individual I spoke with said that by having these collections that it is leaving my credit stagnat (my credit score is increasing but not how it would with no deragotories). Then I hear individuals say that it will drop my credit score and have more of an impact than leaving it there.

My following thoughts are, okay it will impact my score, but will my score recover quickly and continue to grow at a faster pace than if I would of just left the accounts unpaid.

My biggest concerns are will creditors deny me primaryly because I have derogatories irregardless of my credit score?

To follow up with all this being said, if this is the case I just rather pay the derogatories, take the temporary hit and watch my credit score grow. Also to conclude if this is the case, I wish I just would of paid them a long time ago. Instead of looking at the whole situation as there's no point in doing so, because it would just drop my score.

If anyone has some genuine insight they can give it will be highly appreciated. Thanks to who contribute and have read this......

Okay, do I possess any insight?  I suggest that you click on my username and look at a post or two that I've created that discuss my situation that is very similar to your current situation.  

1.  collections showing up on your report hurt your score. PERIOD.  Anyone that is advising you differently is not informed.   I suggest that you read through this post like it was the only thing that was important in your life.    Because right now, it is.   

2.  If the collections that are on your account were say, six or six and a half years old, I would suggest that you just ride it out.   Because, they are close to coming off.  However, if they are well under four or five years, or very recent, you would want to remove them.  

3. All of this is going to take time, effort and money(oh, don't forget patience).   

In my experience, if the only bad guys holding you down are the collections, work them out with a PFD.  One thing I suggest, is that you make sure that you get everything in writing.  And be prepared to take action.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me just be frank Due. If that's a couple hundred dollar bill and the collector is being an ass I would wait the year out.

They buy these debts cheap. Dimes to the dollar. Not negotiating for PFD is stupid on their part. Especially when it's due to fall off in a year.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.