cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice PLEASE on changing reporting status on old med debt and legality of cell VMs

tag
TeeMac
Established Member

Advice PLEASE on changing reporting status on old med debt and legality of cell VMs

Can anyone please help me? I'm on chemotherapy and needless to say, really sick. I also JUST opened up 4 accounts (Chase Freedom 3k, Sallie Mae 6.5k, Discover IT 6k and Cap1 VentureOne 5k) to provide me with some rewards and extra cushion in case my insurance doesn't pick up some of my mounting medical bills. I don't think I'm going to have any issues, but if I'm going to have to pay out of pocket, I want some cash back, darn it! It's been a long road since 2008 when my credit along with the rest of the world took a devastating hit. I had an ER visit Christmas Eve that year that wasn't covered and I have a collections that is changing status....

first, it reporting unpaid, which, it was, and still is. But then, it reported as legally settled for less than full amount. I thought ok...they went away? It was nearing the end of the reporting/collection time frame (7 years in my state) and this place is a hole in the wall place that has NEVER sent me anything trying to collect. But...after my recent app spree they obviously softed me and then immediately changed their reporting to unpaid and my score took a whopping 40 point hit. Is that even legal? I know I didn't pay. But once they report it as legally settled, can they report it as unpaid? 

Im terrifed now of AA by my new accounts, although I suppose it was on my reports before, just as paid and not unpaid. I THINk it was all three. I have to check. It was at least two of the three reports reporting settled/paid. How can they just switch like this!!??

Also, they called twice on my cell phone and left me voicemails using an automated system saying they were a debt collector attempting to collect a debt. I thought that was illegal??? Can anyone give me any advice? I thought if I paid I would reset a clock so I didn't want to pay-I admit I don't know much about this stuff. In 2010, before I found you all I ROYALLY SCREWED myself by trying to PFD my creditors and when I couldn't I just settled, letting them convince me that paid was better than unpaid on my credit reports...ugh. So it's taken years to rebuild. I somehow missed this one-I think because they didn't send me anything. Everyone else has dropped off my report except for a paid judgment due to come off in October. This one has a date filed of June 2009 for a service date of  12/24/2008 so I don't know which date to add 7 years to. It's only $250ish so I can pay it, though based on the principle of things I kind of want to throw the bird in their rude voicemail leaving faces. Use a stamp and send me a freaking bill!!

NFCU Cash Siggy $15,000--Capital One Quicksilver $4,300--Barclays Apple Visa $1,500 --Discover IT $6,500 --Sallie Mae MC $6,300--Capital One Venture $5,000 -- Chase Freedom $3,000 --

STORE CARDS: HSN $1,800 --Amazon $4,000 --Brylane $1,300--Walmart $2100 --Kohls $700--NY and Company $1,150 -- Paypal SC $2,500-- Lowes $4,500 -- Overstock $4,400

TU 696 -EX 727 -EQ 722

Pecking away at my iPad...forgive any typos or bizarre autocorrects!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice PLEASE on changing reporting status on old med debt and legality of cell VMs

That happened to me with a medical bill. I have keep all my reports. I printed the account from my old report and the new. Sent it to the CRA with proof and the inaccurate info and deleted. They will also want a copy of bill and DL to verify yourself. It is a dispute. 

Message 2 of 7
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice PLEASE on changing reporting status on old med debt and legality of cell VMs

As far as changing it to unpaid, I don't see anything wrong in that as it still remains unpaid correct? As for the robocall, I'm not too sure what the legality of it is. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

first, it reporting unpaid, which, it was, and still is. But then, it reported as legally settled for less than full amount. I thought ok...they went away? It was nearing the end of the reporting/collection time frame (7 years in my state) and this place is a hole in the wall place that has NEVER sent me anything trying to collect. But...after my recent app spree they obviously softed me and then immediately changed their reporting to unpaid and my score took a whopping 40 point hit. Is that even legal? I know I didn't pay. But once they report it as legally settled, can they report it as unpaid? 

Did the insurance pay it? Also, if it was pas SOL I would still dispute.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it wasn't paid, they can update to unpaid.

They can call you like that, as long as they didn't leave details of the debt on the voicemail. It's legal to call with something along the lines of "This is an attempt to collect a debt. This call is for [name]. If you are not [name], do not listen to this message." Then contact details. 

Message 5 of 7
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Most importantly, I hope you get better, and good luck with the Chemo. Try to let us know how you are progressing, if you can.

Message 6 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@TeeMac wrote:

Can anyone please help me? I'm on chemotherapy and needless to say, really sick. I also JUST opened up 4 accounts (Chase Freedom 3k, Sallie Mae 6.5k, Discover IT 6k and Cap1 VentureOne 5k) to provide me with some rewards and extra cushion in case my insurance doesn't pick up some of my mounting medical bills. I don't think I'm going to have any issues, but if I'm going to have to pay out of pocket, I want some cash back, darn it! It's been a long road since 2008 when my credit along with the rest of the world took a devastating hit. I had an ER visit Christmas Eve that year that wasn't covered and I have a collections that is changing status.... Sorry to hear about your medical condition, I hope you recover from your soon. Good luck Smiley Happy

first, it reporting unpaid, which, it was, and still is. But then, it reported as legally settled for less than full amount. I thought ok...they went away? It was nearing the end of the reporting/collection time frame (7 years in my state) and this place is a hole in the wall place that has NEVER sent me anything trying to collect. But...after my recent app spree they obviously softed me and then immediately changed their reporting to unpaid and my score took a whopping 40 point hit. Is that even legal? I know I didn't pay. But once they report it as legally settled, can they report it as unpaid?  The reason your score dropped is they updated it and the status date came current so it looks brand new in Ficos eyes. Its pretty obvious they were reporting it as settled in error and its not illegal to change the reporting to unpaid if it in  fact has not been paid. Your apping for the new cards is what triggerd the new reporting its a tactic they use to depress your Fico and they will most likely update it every month going forward till its removed by reaching CRTP. A derog can report for a max of 7.5 years from the DoFD. The DoFD on medical bills is the 30 day late after they send you the bill.

Im terrifed now of AA by my new accounts, although I suppose it was on my reports before, just as paid and not unpaid. I THINk it was all three. I have to check. It was at least two of the three reports reporting settled/paid. How can they just switch like this!!?? See above

Also, they called twice on my cell phone and left me voicemails using an automated system saying they were a debt collector attempting to collect a debt. I thought that was illegal??? Not if its onfile at the CRA and you are using it as a contact number with any of your creditors. Can anyone give me any advice?

I thought if I paid I would reset a clock so I didn't want to pay-I admit I don't know much about this stuff. In 2010, before I found you all I ROYALLY SCREWED myself by trying to PFD my creditors and when I couldn't I just settled, letting them convince me that paid was better than unpaid on my credit reports...ugh. So it's taken years to rebuild. I somehow missed this one-I think because they didn't send me anything. Everyone else has dropped off my report except for a paid judgment due to come off in October. This one has a date filed of June 2009 for a service date of  12/24/2008 so I don't know which date to add 7 years to. It's only $250ish so I can pay it, though based on the principle of things I kind of want to throw the bird in their rude voicemail leaving faces. Use a stamp and send me a freaking bill!!  Offer them the PFD and if they refuse I would just let it ride till CRTP. The CRAs will typically exclude these at the 7 year mark (from the DoFD) to make sure they remain within the reporting time frame law.  

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Example-Letter/td-p/4519

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.