cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Pls: Utility >10% Need at ALL times?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice Pls: Utility >10% Need at ALL times?

Hi all, so I know I will be gardening for at least a year, I just opened 6 new accounts I dont know how that will hurt my AAoA either? I had 21 years but I dont know how is that calculated either. I was wondering, do I need to keep the Utilization for the next year? or does it matter really until I have to get a new credit? Like if I can use the card for the next 11 months and then the last month before I get out of garden pay it down to >5%? will I be gardening history? or just the last month? THanks! Will UTILITIZATION has to be a history too?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
JustinA
Frequent Contributor

Re: Advice Pls: Utility >10% Need at ALL times?

Don't worry about utilization til you want/need credit. I've found I could leave it at 75+% and when I want an app spree drop it to 8-9% the month prior I'm good. Ymmv but there's no memory so you should be ok

Starting TU: 536
Starting EQ: 573
Goal: 640

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all, so I know I will be gardening for at least a year, I just opened 6 new accounts I dont know how that will hurt my AAoA either? I had 21 years but I dont know how is that calculated either. I was wondering, do I need to keep the Utilization for the next year? or does it matter really until I have to get a new credit? Like if I can use the card for the next 11 months and then the last month before I get out of garden pay it down to >5%? will I be gardening history? or just the last month? THanks! Will UTILITIZATION has to be a history too?

The Understanding Fico Scoring forum has some good stuff to read about during your gardening.  Quite a few members toy around with their utilization overall and post results. Finding the variables for each profile bascially.

I personally had overall UTL of 6% with 1 card at $972/1000.  This dropped my EX score 17 points.  Once it reported a $0/1000, overall UTL 4%, EX raised 18points.  This is the kind of stuff that's posted overthere.  

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 60% reporting on one 10k card and ZERO reporting on my others giving me a 8% total UTI and my scores are in my siggy.

2.5 years AAOA.
Message 4 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

There are many threads on how to maintain your utilization. Yes, you can leave it high until an app time comes along then pay it down.

However, I will add that when you leave it like this, you risk any evaluations of your accounts by your lenders being looked at in a negative way during this period. That can also effect potential decisions on auto increases, and how much, as well as increases down the road. Ymmv

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Percent util has no historical memory in scoring, so as long as you get it to the desired level prior to needing/using your score, it wont matter.

However, maintaining high utils over any extended period runs the risk of tripping an internal account review that could lead to a reduction in your credit limit.

That will reduce your denominator, and lead to need to then reduce the numerator (curernt balance) even more in order to achieve the desired % util of less than 10%.

I would suggest setting a normal limit of around 30% in order to remove the chance of a CLD review, and then tweaking to under 10% only when ready to use your score.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.