Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Removing Invalid Collection Account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice Removing Invalid Collection Account

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post as I previously lurked the forums and finally decided to join in.

My credit score is currently 747 (Equifax), 766 (TransUnion), 701 (Experian).

Right before I bought my house in 2009, there was a $33 collection account from Comcast on my report that I was unaware of. I did not have a Comcast account and when I contacted them, they had no record of a debt in my name. Nonetheless, my mortgage broker advised me that the $33 bill would prevent me from getting my mortgage (because it was a collection account). I decided to pay it because I didn't feel like $33 was worth the delay in getting my mortgage.

Outside of that I have one other medical bill for $152 that is in collection, and I am trying to be strategic in how I approach the CA in paying to have it removed (I've seen some people successful at that and others, not so much).

From your experience, how much does your score increase once Collection Items are REMOVED from your credit report? I'm thinking that even though the $33 bill was paid, it may still be holding me back because it is listed as a collection account. I finally disputed it and have a feeling that the Collection Company won't go through the bother of trying to validate a paid $33 bill. I am hoping it will drop off.

Also, can anyone advise me on the best approach I should take for the $152 medical bill? The bill is from 2005 and JUST now showing up on my report, I don't know why the doctor's office waiting this late to notify me/send it to collections. I'm thinking this bill is a result of my medical issurance not covering the full visit.

(Sorry for being so wordy...thanks in advance for any help).

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Re: Advice Removing Invalid Collection Account

I would send to Collection Agency  a DV and contact the original creditor and try to resolve it through them and get them to pull back from collections. I would also try to get them to mail me a statement on the bill, because being from 2005 it shouldnt be reporting on your reports anymore.

Message 2 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It would depend on when in 2005.  If it was, say, Dec 2005, it could report until June 2013.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Regarding the paid collection, did you dispute the accuracy of their reporting, or did you send them a DV request?

If it was a dispute over accuracy of their reporting, what was the asserted inaccuracy?

If a request for debt validation, you most likely will never hear from them.  A timely DV requests verification of the debt, and imposes a cease collection bar on them until such time as they provide the requested verification.  They have no requirement to respond, only to cease collection until such time as they do.  And if the DV was not timely, it does not even impose a cease collection bar.  Since the debt was paid, they are no longer pursuing active collection, so have no concern over a cease collection bar, even if the DV was timely.

Regarding the unpaid collection, the normal process for attempting earlier deletion is to send them a pay for delete (PFD) offer.

However, if still within 30 days of dunning notice, you can send them a DV and await verifcation of the debt prior to negotiating.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.