Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice before starting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice before starting

So I've pulled my Experian report, I use Credit Karma to keep an eye on Transunion and Equifax (although I suspect that Credit Karma's scores are not correct so I don't use them to monitor my scores, just reports) and everything looks as I suspected it would.

I have one account in collections, two accounts that have been charged off, and one account in good standing but with 3 late payments (30 days)

The one collections account is with PRA, I've been looking around and they are notoriously difficult. Should I bother starting with a DV or PFD? Or just PIF and later try to GW?

Also the PRA account is from an SYNCB card, this was one single card but it shows up on my report as two seperate accounts, SYNCB/GAPDC and SYNCB/OLDNAV, the OLDNAV line is closed with no missed payments, the GAPDC is what is being collected and shows missed payments (but it is reporting as $0 as it should) is this normal? For one card to report as two seperate accounts?

Also, I know that poking one giant might wake others. Right now I have the money to pay off the collection account, I do not have the money to pay off the other two acounts. Should I wait until I have the money saved up to pay off all accounts before starting, or just worry about one at a time? All of these accounts are well within the SOL for my state.

Thanks for any advice.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice before starting

@Anonymous wrote:

So I've pulled my Experian report, I use Credit Karma to keep an eye on Transunion and Equifax (although I suspect that Credit Karma's scores are not correct so I don't use them to monitor my scores, just reports) and everything looks as I suspected it would.

I have one account in collections, two accounts that have been charged off, and one account in good standing but with 3 late payments (30 days)

The one collections account is with PRA, I've been looking around and they are notoriously difficult. Should I bother starting with a DV or PFD? Or just PIF and later try to GW?

Also the PRA account is from an SYNCB card, this was one single card but it shows up on my report as two seperate accounts, SYNCB/GAPDC and SYNCB/OLDNAV, the OLDNAV line is closed with no missed payments, the GAPDC is what is being collected and shows missed payments (but it is reporting as $0 as it should) is this normal? For one card to report as two seperate accounts?

Also, I know that poking one giant might wake others. Right now I have the money to pay off the collection account, I do not have the money to pay off the other two acounts. Should I wait until I have the money saved up to pay off all accounts before starting, or just worry about one at a time? All of these accounts are well within the SOL for my state.

Thanks for any advice.

Kinda depends on what your immediate goals are. Are you just trying to clean up your reports, or are you wanting to get your scores to a certain level to qualify for something big or what? The CO accounts, if they are revolving accounts and show balances, are more detrimental to your scores than the single collection. Is PRA updating every month?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just looking to clean up my report,  one day in the next couple years I might need to get a loan for a car, but nothing immediate.

The CO are revolving and show balances, and PRA is updating every month.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just looking to clean up my report,  one day in the next couple years I might need to get a loan for a car, but nothing immediate.

The CO are revolving and show balances, and PRA is updating every month.

Well, in that case, starting with a PFD offer to PRA would probably be the appropriate first step. I would only DV it if there was something fishy about it.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your advice, I haven't noticed any funny business with them... although I was hoping lol

people seem to have more success with their PFD's with them when they aren't reporting right.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

NVM figured it out

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the letter I will send (with personal info filled in):

My Name

My Address

My City, State Zip

Collector’s Name

Collector’s Address

Collector’s City, State Zip

Date:

Re: Account Number XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Dear Collection Manager:

This letter is in response to an Experian credit report entry listed as being opened in November 2013. As I have never received written correspondence of the above mentioned debt, I do not have the complete account number. I wish to save us both time and money by settling the above mentioned debt.

Please be aware that this is not an acknowledgment or acceptance of the debt, as I have not received any verification of the debt. Nor is this a promise to pay and is not a payment agreement unless you provide a response as detailed below.

I am aware that your company has the ability to report this debt to the credit bureaus as you deem necessary. Furthermore, you have the ability to change the listing since you are the information furnisher.

I am willing to pay this debt in full in return for your agreement to remove all information regarding this debt from the credit reporting agencies within ten calendar days of payment. If you agree to the terms, I will send certified payment in the amount of $306 payable to Portfolio Recovery in exchange to have all information related to this debt removed from all of my credit files.

If you accept this offer, you also agree not to discuss the offer with any third-party, excluding the original creditor. If you accept the offer, please prepare a letter on your company letterhead agreeing to the terms. This letter should be signed by an authorized agent of Portfolio Recovery. The letter will be treated as a contract and subject to the laws of my state.

As granted by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, I have the right to dispute this alleged debt. If I do not receive your postmarked response within 15 days, I will withdraw the offer and request full verification of this debt.

Please forward your agreement to the address listed above.

Sincerely,

My Name (not signed)

Sound good?

thank you all, this place is wealth of knowledge and experience.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.