Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice building my credit from the ground up

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice building my credit from the ground up

I think I shouldn't do anything for next 2 years, but want to hear your opinion.

My  credit profile has 6 cards (5 personal and  1 business).

1. Cap One Secure $651 opened 1/17
  2. Amazon Prime Store Card $5500 opened 7/17
  3. Cap One Business Spark $2000 opened 1/18 (I don't see it on my personal) How long does it take to show up? 
  4. Suntrust Cash Rewards $4000 opened 1/18 (I'm authorized user)
  5. Chase Freedom $2500 opened 2/18
  6. Overstock.com $1400 oepend 2/18 

I think opening last two cards was a mistake, but we will see. My FICO is around 710, but I think it will go down. The rest of my credit history is clean.

I have 6 inquires. 2 of them are from landlords. 

1) Main user on Suntrust card will transfer his balance of $3200 and keep it there for about 12 mo. I think total balance on that card might be up to $3800 every month. up to $600 will be paid (grocery/gas) in full and $3200  (balance transfer) will be carried every month. That's 95% utilization. We might be able to keep it under 85% if that makes any difference. Please let me know. 

2) I'm going to stop using my Cap One Secured. Will they close my account? As an alternative I think I will use it once in 3 month to buy a gum or something. Let me know if that makes sense and when they close accounts due inactivity.

3) Amazon Card is usually around $50-100 and paid in full (charge account)

4) Cap One Business Spark under $50/mo and paid in full

5) Chase Freedom. I'm going to carry my balance on this card for up to $1500 by the end of its intro APR. Maybe up to $1500 in 10-12 mo. But I'm going to make one payment of $50 between billing cycles and then minimum payments each month. So my balance should go up by $100-200 every month.

6) OverStock. I'm going to use it once in 3-6 months for under $50 purchases. Any consequences of not using this card every month or once in 6 months?

What would you recommend me to do in this situation?

My plan is simple: no credit apps next 2 years. Just use cards like I'm doing it right now. After Chase into APR is over I'm going to pay in full and then pay in full my monthly balance. SunTrust will be paid in full by next Janaury and will be under $400-600/mo and also paid in full. 

My goal is 760 in about 20-24 months. 
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice building my credit from the ground up

wrote:

I think I shouldn't do anything for next 2 years, but want to hear your opinion.

My  credit profile has 6 cards (5 personal and  1 business).

1. Cap One Secure $651 opened 1/17
  2. Amazon Prime Store Card $5500 opened 7/17
  3. Cap One Business Spark $2000 opened 1/18 (I don't see it on my personal) How long does it take to show up?  Business accounts do not report to your personal credit report.
  4. Suntrust Cash Rewards $4000 opened 1/18 (I'm authorized user)
  5. Chase Freedom $2500 opened 2/18
  6. Overstock.com $1400 oepend 2/18 

I think opening last two cards was a mistake, but we will see. My FICO is around 710, but I think it will go down. The rest of my credit history is clean.

I have 6 inquires. 2 of them are from landlords. 

1) Main user on Suntrust card will transfer his balance of $3200 and keep it there for about 12 mo. I think total balance on that card might be up to $3800 every month. up to $600 will be paid (grocery/gas) in full and $3200  (balance transfer) will be carried every month. That's 95% utilization. We might be able to keep it under 85% if that makes any difference. Please let me know. Remove yourself from this account it is doing more harm than good.

2) I'm going to stop using my Cap One Secured. Will they close my account? As an alternative I think I will use it once in 3 month to buy a gum or something. Let me know if that makes sense and when they close accounts due inactivity. Use it every now and then to keep it open.

3) Amazon Card is usually around $50-100 and paid in full (charge account)

4) Cap One Business Spark under $50/mo and paid in full

5) Chase Freedom. I'm going to carry my balance on this card for up to $1500 by the end of its intro APR. Maybe up to $1500 in 10-12 mo. But I'm going to make one payment of $50 between billing cycles and then minimum payments each month. So my balance should go up by $100-200 every month.

6) OverStock. I'm going to use it once in 3-6 months for under $50 purchases. Any consequences of not using this card every month or once in 6 months?  Use it only when you have a need to make a purchase at OverStock.

What would you recommend me to do in this situation?  If you do not have an installment loan then open a small secured share loan at a credit union this will improve your credit mix.

My plan is simple: no credit apps next 2 years. Just use cards like I'm doing it right now. After Chase into APR is over I'm going to pay in full and then pay in full my monthly balance. SunTrust will be paid in full by next Janaury and will be under $400-600/mo and also paid in full. 

My goal is 760 in about 20-24 months. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice building my credit from the ground up

I thought Capital One is the only bank that does report business on personal? 
I'm going to remove myself before that balance transfer.

Thank you 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.