Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for next steps (Update 5/1/17)

tag
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice for next steps

Just don't freak out if more than 1 card reports a balance. UTI has no memory so if you don't want to stress over the 1 card/9% 'rule' just keep your balances low until you get ready to apply for more credit.
Message 11 of 21
voxombmx
Valued Member

@medicgrrl wrote:

@voxombmx wrote:

CL for the Citi card I am an AU on is $25,000 and we usually carry a balance around $700.

Today I will be paying one of the collections at $611 which will bring me down to 2 accounts totalling $556, my goal is to have the remaining two accounts paid by the end of May if not sooner. 

Sorry about the duplicate post...my computer was not cooperating!  

Awesome that you are getting to pay off another baddie today!  Congrats on the Discover card!!  I think if you apply for the Cap 1 then you will be doing great.  Since you carry a small balance on the Citi card, I would recommend that you carry no balances on your cards.  The way to do that is to pay them in full prior to the statement being cut.  Most lenders are going to report the balance that's on your statement.  By having those 3 revolving accounts you would be able to show less than 50% of your cards with a balance and the balance on the card being less than 9%.  That is really good for scoring purposes!  

Also, NFCU is a great credit union.  If you haven't done any research on them, check them out!  If you are not eligible to become a member, there are ways around that.  They are pretty good for rebuilders.  

No worries about the duplicate! I appreciate the advice. I already have a credit union that has been very good to my wife and I, they currently handle our mortgage and both auto loans. My wife also has a card through them, they will not approve a card at this time for me, If I raise the score or pay off the auto they would approve a card, I'm not worried about it at this point in time. Upon reading your reply I decided to apply for a capital one card and was approved for the Cap1 Platinum with CL $2,000.
Will I be better off to simply put these two cards in my safe and just let the Citi card show the monthly balance, or do I need to use the cards and pay off...I'm fairly certain I answered that for myself as I was typing the question...If I don't use the cards, they can't report payment history, correct?
THanks again

FICO 8 Score
04/06/17 [EQ 624] [TU 606] [EX 624]
11/29/21 [EQ 800] [TU 805] [EX 807]
Gardened 4/11/17-10/1/20
Message 12 of 21
voxombmx
Valued Member

I eveidently don't know how to use this forum either!! Not sure why or how I quoted myself in an original reply? But my reply starts at "No worries"

FICO 8 Score
Gardened 4/11/17-10/1/20
Message 13 of 21
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

You could always set up one of your bills to autopay thru the credit card and then pay it off every month.  Not only will this help for reporting purposes, but it may help with future credit limit increases.  I'm not a big spender so I just use my cards for my everyday purchases and bills and then pay them off.  You can make a few dollars doing this too if any of your cards are rewards cards.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 14 of 21
voxombmx
Valued Member

I didn't think about an auto pay setup, that's a great suggestion! Something like the phone bill would be perfect at around $60/month.

For the sake of this discussion and my own knowledge; Would I be better off having a higher overal utilization reported as opposed to those two remaining collections accounts? I guess I'm asking if I should use the Cap1 card to pay off the two collections accounts that are remainging at just under $600 and then pay off the Cap1 card or should I just wait and pay each of those accounts with a check over the next month and a half?

FICO 8 Score
Gardened 4/11/17-10/1/20
Message 15 of 21
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Credit scores have no memory.  If you have high utiization for a month or two, your scores won't remember that in month 3 when you pay if back down/off.  If you decide to do that, the benefit would also be that you have gotten the collections reporting $0 a little sooner so they will start aging sooner.  Right now, they report as an updated negative every month and continue to hurt your score more than they would as a paid collection.  Once you pay them and they update to $0 they will quit reporting every month.  Are you going to attempt pay for deletes on any of them?  If you can find email addresses for the collection agencies you may be able to do a PFD or even negotiate a lower payoff.  Just make sure you do everything in writing so you have proof of any negotiated settlements!

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 16 of 21
voxombmx
Valued Member

Thank you, that may be a worth while direction, have to discuss that further with my wife.

I was able to get PFD on several of the other collections accounts, including one that was for $3200 which I paid in full. Unfortunatley these last 3 collections were reported as disputed and they did not agree to the PFD letters which is why these are the last 3 I have remaining unpaid. I will attempt to go the GW route after paying and hope for the best. Out of 9 initial collections accounts there are only these 3 reporting anymore and I have seen an average of 40pt growth in my scores since starting my rebuild last year.

FICO 8 Score
Gardened 4/11/17-10/1/20
Message 17 of 21
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

@voxombmx wrote:

Thank you, that may be a worth while direction, have to discuss that further with my wife.

I was able to get PFD on several of the other collections accounts, including one that was for $3200 which I paid in full. Unfortunatley these last 3 collections were reported as disputed and they did not agree to the PFD letters which is why these are the last 3 I have remaining unpaid. I will attempt to go the GW route after paying and hope for the best. Out of 9 initial collections accounts there are only these 3 reporting anymore and I have seen an average of 40pt growth in my scores since starting my rebuild last year.

That's really awesome!  Good luck with the rebuild.  It sounds like it's going great!

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 18 of 21
voxombmx
Valued Member

Just received email notification my cards are on their way an I paid my last collection account today! My wife also was approved for an AMEX BCP and Cities DC cards, if you didn't catch my other thread, I am added as an AU on both. We will pay 1 small bill on my It card and one on my Cap1 to work on my score, all of the rest of our bills and daily spending will go on the rewards cards to leverage our spending. We are really looking forward to the future!!

FICO 8 Score
Gardened 4/11/17-10/1/20
Message 19 of 21
voxombmx
Valued Member

UPDATE

My Discover It card hit my reports, small increase in scores but they are heading in the right direction this time around. Time to hit the GW work now, keep working hard everyone and have a great day!

FICO 8 Score
Gardened 4/11/17-10/1/20
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.