cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for raising score, what to pay down first.

tag
lordofentropy
Established Member

Advice for raising score, what to pay down first.

Greetings all. I love the amount of information available on this site and the forums. I've spent hours perusing the available info and it's been quite enlightening. However, since I'm new to all of this, I'd like to ask for advice or at least some confirmation that I'm thinking about these things correctly.

I've got two main debts that I'm working on paying down. If I tighten up my financial belt, I can make some serious progress on paying the debts down.

The first thing that is always listed on the "key factors that adversely affected your credit score" is a public record for child support. I've read several posts and pages on myfico.com that say that child support isn't considered in the FICO score. However, since this line is always present, it seems that my public record for child support is indeed affecting my score.

Just to clarify, I am paying child support, current and arrears, so I'm not asking if I "should" pay the past-due child support, that's obvious.

I also have a student loan, that shows up as five loans(different loans given at separate times, i.e., school quarters). It was in deferment/forebearance for a while, but I've been paying on the loan for approximately a year now. The balances are higher than the "limit" due the interest gained on the unsub'd loans in school and then gained on both unsub/sub loans while in forebearance.

That's the background on my two main things I'm looking at. So where I'm looking for advice/confirmation is:

The student loan is my only installment account. So it seems in terms of my score, I want it to stay open to continue in order to have the credit mix (revolving/installment) as well as to continue to establish a longer positive payment record with those loans. The drawback is that the loans are all charging 2.83% interest. So paying the loans down faster will save me money in the long run.

The child support arrears are going to look bad no matter what in terms of my credit, besides the ethical obligations(which as mentioned above, I am paying those, just considering what debt to accelerate). However, the arrears carry no interest, so the amount is only dropping as I make my current payments on the owed amount.

Perhaps what I'm asking is more "financial advice", but I was hoping that perhaps someone could at least confirm that in terms of FICO I'm looking at these things correctly. If someone can an opinion on which to pay down more aggressively, I'd apppreciate it.

Thanks!

Entropy just isn't what it used to be.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advice for raising score, what to pay down first.

Bump for others on the child support.

On the SL, mix with regards to installments, IMO, is unimportant. You can certainly hit into the 800s with just CCs. I wouldn't spend money for just a few points.

I'm for the debt snowball method which pays down your lowest balance first.

Ahh...Entropy brings me back to my days in physics class.

Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

From a FICO perspective, payment of debt is not per-se a FICO scoring issue.

What is scored are the payment history delinquencies that have occured to date.  Paying or not paying wont remove them.

Purely from a FICO perspective, in my opinion, the key factor is not the past, but the future.  Avoid any additional delinquencies that could lead to new, adverse reporting.

Message 3 of 8
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Hi!  I never believed that FICO didn't score the child support stuff.  DH got a child support judgment slapped on him after we had closed on a house, the day of funding we found out about it.  Needless to say, no house.  That was 2001.  DOJ in Oregon never renewed this judgment and though DH is still paying support and arrears are still due, there is no mention of this on his reports anymore.

Have you asked the DOJ in your state how long they are going to report this judgment?  How long has it been on your reports?  Depending on your state, as long as you make your payments every month, they probably won't continue this kind of collection activity.

I know for a fact they did this to us bc we had called them to get a statement of all the payments made.  This was back in 2001 before you could go online to see your account.  This caused the _(HORRIBLE NAME)______ child support worker to get the judgment.  i remember she said on the phone "Oh, he's not buying a house."

And regarding the student loans, as long as you are getting "paid on time" and no lates, I don't think it matters that your balance is over the limit.  I've had a few accts that the balance was higher than the limit and they are reporting positively.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Booner72 wrote:

Hi!  I never believed that FICO didn't score the child support stuff.  DH got a child support judgment slapped on him after we had closed on a house, the day of funding we found out about it.  Needless to say, no house.  That was 2001.  DOJ in Oregon never renewed this judgment and though DH is still paying support and arrears are still due, there is no mention of this on his reports anymore.

Have you asked the DOJ in your state how long they are going to report this judgment?  How long has it been on your reports?  Depending on your state, as long as you make your payments every month, they probably won't continue this kind of collection activity.

I know for a fact they did this to us bc we had called them to get a statement of all the payments made.  This was back in 2001 before you could go online to see your account.  This caused the _(HORRIBLE NAME)______ child support worker to get the judgment.  i remember she said on the phone "Oh, he's not buying a house."

And regarding the student loans, as long as you are getting "paid on time" and no lates, I don't think it matters that your balance is over the limit.  I've had a few accts that the balance was higher than the limit and they are reporting positively.

All I can do is repeat this quote from the site administartor.

FICO scoring is unbiased because it does not consider race, color, sex, marital status, salary, residence location, interest rates being charged, child support or rental agreements. FICO only looks at credit behavior which results in more consistency as to who gets approved and who doesn't. Using credit scoring, lenders can focus only on the facts related to credit risk, rather than their personal feelings.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 8
cda710
Valued Member

Or another way to look at it may be.............a judgement is a judgement period.  What the judgemnt is from may be irrelevant.  I wonder if they just dont take child support payments into consideration but once you have a negative public record it doesnt matter what its from. 

Just playing the devils advocate trying to look at it from another perspective. 

Good luck!

Starting Score: 500(06/11)
Current Score: 645 (04/12)
Goal Score: 680

Cap 1-500, best buy MC-300, orchard bank MC-300, first premier-300, amazon-600. All new since July '11 no late payments and carry no balances.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
lordofentropy
Established Member

Thank you everyone for your input, it's much appreciated as I try to free myself from past mistakes. The emotional and physical effects from those times have long subsided, but the financial impact keeps its grip on me.

MarineVietVet, I have read what the administrator and the page on "What's not in your FICO score" had said regarding child support. However, the first thing always listed in the "key things adversely affecting your score"—which as I understand is listed in descending order of effect on score—is the public record (I only have one, it's not listed as a judgement either) for my child support. Is this something that I should point out to the CRA? Perhaps they're not properly recognizing it as child support?

Thanks!

Entropy just isn't what it used to be.

Message 7 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@lordofentropy wrote:

Thank you everyone for your input, it's much appreciated as I try to free myself from past mistakes. The emotional and physical effects from those times have long subsided, but the financial impact keeps its grip on me.

MarineVietVet, I have read what the administrator and the page on "What's not in your FICO score" had said regarding child support. However, the first thing always listed in the "key things adversely affecting your score"—which as I understand is listed in descending order of effect on score—is the public record (I only have one, it's not listed as a judgement either) for my child support. Is this something that I should point out to the CRA? Perhaps they're not properly recognizing it as child support?

Thanks!

The child support "trade line" (it's not exactly a TL but it looks like one and is in the same part of the report) doesn't impact your score at all (not length of history, nothing). Any PR resulting from the missed child support will impact your score like any other PR.

In other words they are 2 different issues. I know it can seem confusing.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.