Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for re-building credit and raising my scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice for re-building credit and raising my scores

I've been wandering these boards for a few months now and this is my first post.  I've found what I have read/learned from here very helpful and would like some personalized advice on where to go next in my journey of re-building.  Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Some info about myself - 

- Filed Chapter 13 in December of 2009 (due for discharge in December of 2014)

- My current scores are in the 560-580 range. (I only have access to one FICO score, which is 568, TU, I believe)

- I currently have 3 CC -

Barcaly ($1300 limit, current balance is approx. $500) - account is approx 1.5 yrs old, never a late payment.

Credit One ($1300 limit, current balance is approx. $500) - account is approx. 2 yrs old, never a late payment.

Capital Oone ($500 limit, current balance is approx. $300) - account is approx 1.5 yrs old, never a late payment.

- For derogatories, other than the BK-13, I have 2 collections accounts, which I have sent out PFD letters for.  I can't say I'm optimistic about those working out.

One is for an old Sprint bill, approx $320

Another is for an old Verizon bill, approx $115

- Both of these bills are approx. 2-2.5 yrs old (if that matters)

I guess my main question is, other than continuing to pay on time and keeping my balances as low as possible (these three CC accounts will be paid down, hopefully completely, in the next 3 months), what can I do to improve my credit array and increase my scores?  The 3 cards I have are more than plenty for me, but I keep reading that I should, possibly, have 1 or 2 more?

As for the collections, if the PFD's don't work out, how should I handle those?

Thanks to any and all that sound off on this post!

CAC

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice for re-building credit and raising my scores

cac1979 wrote:  ...I've found what I have read/learned from here very helpful and would like some personalized advice... 

At its simplest, improving credit is just showing that you are not a risky borrower.  You do this by showing you can manage debt and not lose control.

Your current cards have a huge effect.  One card with a balance, which is around 3% of your available credit, and no balances on the rest shows you are a conservative spender and only swipe what you can pay.  Anything else hurts you.  More than one card with a balance, or higher utilization says you might not be in control.  Your utilization has a massive effect on scoring.

Making payments on time is also a big one.  So the longer history of on-time payments you have the better, and late payments really mess you up.  Continuing to pay on time, and working to GW any lates showing will help.

Collection accounts are a bad sign, especially if you are coming out of a BK.  PFD is a process that sometimes takes persistence, and you might have to keep bugging them until you get someone willing to make a deal with you.  Alternatively, working with the original creditor to pull a debt back out of collections works very well sometimes.  
Good luck!

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

P, thanks for the reply and insight...much appreciated!

I was not aware that you could approach the original creditor once the CA had their hands on it?  I thought the original creditor sold that debt to the CA?

I'll keep that in mind if my first attempt at PFD doesn't work for me.  Once again, learning something new on these boards!!  Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
p-
Valued Contributor

cac1979 wrote:  I was not aware that you could approach the original creditor once the CA had their hands on it?  I thought the original creditor sold that debt to the CA?

Depends.  Sometimes it's sold, sometimes just "assigned."  If it's assigned, and the OC accepts payment, the CA no longer has authority to collect.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.