Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for (re)building credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice for (re)building credit

I've never really had a stellar credit since i started buuilding my credit profile but i've had a few negatives affect the building process. Lets just say I started on the wrong foot.

Eq-661

Exp-677

Trans-688

The positives-

I have 3 credit cards- CSP 5k, local bank 500, and 1K Macy's store card 
Student loan i've been paying on since 2012 

Car loan from Chase

I've never been late on any of my accounts.

The negatives-

4 negatives reported on my account, two of them are paid collections from ATT and cox cable and the third is a paid charge off from a local bank . The fourth is an unpaid medical bill from med data sys. I've tried pfd and goodwill on all the negatives, no luck.

Fortunately, the paid collections and charged off accounts are due to fall off early 2016.

The only unpaid one is the medical and i decided not to pay it now and wait for the time when i apply for a home mortgage loan later in the year. If the bank request for it to be paid then, I will probably do it but i just don't see the need to wake that one up.

Now i've been thinking about applying for the United explorer card due to the nature of my job. I travel a lot and he perks and 50k points is very attractive . I may or may not get approved for it and will probably go the route of recon.

What advice can you guys give me on how to build my credit and what do y'all think of applying for the mileage explorer? Note- my CSP is only 6 months old and 

my oldest account is around 5 years.

Do i have a good mix of credit? What else can i do to get to the 700 ish score? Do i have a chance with the explorer?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advice for (re)building credit

@Anonymous wrote:

I've never really had a stellar credit since i started buuilding my credit profile but i've had a few negatives affect the building process. Lets just say I started on the wrong foot.

Eq-661

Exp-677

Trans-688

The positives-

I have 3 credit cards- CSP 5k, local bank 500, and 1K Macy's store card 
Student loan i've been paying on since 2012 

Car loan from Chase

I've never been late on any of my accounts.

The negatives-

4 negatives reported on my account, two of them are paid collections from ATT and cox cable and the third is a paid charge off from a local bank . The fourth is an unpaid medical bill from med data sys. I've tried pfd and goodwill on all the negatives, no luck.

Fortunately, the paid collections and charged off accounts are due to fall off early 2016.

The only unpaid one is the medical and i decided not to pay it now and wait for the time when i apply for a home mortgage loan later in the year. If the bank request for it to be paid then, I will probably do it but i just don't see the need to wake that one up.

Now i've been thinking about applying for the United explorer card due to the nature of my job. I travel a lot and he perks and 50k points is very attractive . I may or may not get approved for it and will probably go the route of recon.

What advice can you guys give me on how to build my credit and what do y'all think of applying for the mileage explorer? Note- my CSP is only 6 months old and 

my oldest account is around 5 years.

Do i have a good mix of credit? What else can i do to get to the 700 ish score? Do i have a chance with the explorer? IMO you have a good mix I would continue to add bankcards to your profile. I would also continue GW letters to the paid CAs & COs asking for their removal at one per month to the office of the CEO until you get the goodwill or they become excluded due to their age. I think you would have a good shot at the United card you are after.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.