Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice from the pros please

tag
Dohmein

Advice from the pros please

Hello,

I wanted to see what else I can or should be doing to better my credit in general as well as be in a better position to assist my kids get started when the time comes, with their credit.  My oldest is 17. 

I started looking into my credit last year.  Nothing bad on my credit reports, no late payments, nothing.  Utilization is low at all times.  I have no mortgage as I am in an old family home that has been paid off for ages so I only have the following credit.  I am an auth user on 2 since I fix my father in laws homes in the area when needed as he is the out of state landlord.  I have the card so its easier he buys, I fix.

1.  Home Depot (auth user) 5k limit

2.  Lowes (auth user) 5k limit

3.  Kohls (opened 9-2014) 1000 limit

4.  NFCU one year as a secured card and just this month it converted into a real credit card with 1000.00 limit, was a 500.00 secured

At my age I should be showing more I would think but up until 2014 I was a cash only type of guy.  Do not know my true fico, just the fakos from CK.  Not sure if I should have another cc or just use what I have and let NFCU auto increase me or ask in a few months.  I use the NFCU card and pay it off monthly, usually very little usage. 

Not sure what other info I can provide but will answer any question you would need to assist.   Any and all advice is welcome..

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advice from the pros please

You want at minimum in your own name 3 bankcards and 1 store card. Build you credit by using your cards and keep the reported balances low,you only want 1 of these cards reporting a balance of no more than 9% of its CL and the rest at 0. This doesnt mean you cant use the card it just means you have to pay the majority of the balance prior to the statement cut date.

Message 2 of 5
Dohmein

Thank you for the advice.  I will continue reading and getting a credit education.

Should I try to get any particular card or maybe another with  NFCU?  Personally was hoping to have one with a higher limit, possibly 2.

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Dohmein wrote:

Thank you for the advice.  I will continue reading and getting a credit education.

Should I try to get any particular card or maybe another with  NFCU?  Personally was hoping to have one with a higher limit, possibly 2.

Personally I like to diversify my credit lines with different lenders and not rely on just one for a major part of my credit. I am going to advise that you post a question along with your current stats & cards in the credit card forum asking for assistance in what cards to obtain. All the individual card gurus reside there and they have some pretty extensive knowledge.

Message 4 of 5
Dohmein

Thanks gdale6 I will do that. 

Appreciate the info

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.