cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed- get Secured card or change bank?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice needed- get Secured card or change bank?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this. My current score (per myfico) are EQ 599 TU 611 EX 593. Current cards- Capital one Quicksilver 500cl (previously platinum), walmart 400cl. I was recently declined for Barclay rewards and it got me thinking. So I am trying to plan for the long run to be able to qualify for prime cards and better interest rates. I currently bank with People's bank, but after reading these forums I wonder if I would be better off going somewhere else, such as BOA, to build a relationship. I was also wondering if I should apply for a secured cc to establish a relationship with BOA or Chase (or others), as I hear after a year or more, they will likely pc to unsecured card. I am open to any advice you may have for me. Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice needed- get Secured card or change bank?

Welcome.  By reading your post, you seem to have a good strategy all by yourself. That is a good idea to switch to Bof A or Chase, unless your really like your current bank.

In terms of a secured card, I say skip it. You have a top tier card in the Quicksilver, and a good store card with a credit limit that will rise , if you use it regularly.

You have two solid lines of unsecured credit, you need to let them grow, as will your credit scores.  My two cents, Good Luck

Message 2 of 5
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Why not go with a credit union or you wanting to bank with a major bank?
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both for your replies. I will pass on a secured card as I think your probably right. I guess i was curious if it would make sense to join a bigger bank now, in order to build a relationship for future credit approvals or loans. I am considering a credit union as well. Im definately going to make the move, just wanted some opinions on which bank would be best, as previously I just joined the closest bank to me when I first graduated school. My current bank doesnt seem to have any major benefits, and it makes me think I am wasting my time there. Sorry if this doesnt make sense, I just wanted to ask for advice on where I should go. Im trying to plan for my future, and just starting to learn about credit and finances.

Thank you!

Message 4 of 5
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Personally, I would go with Chase. Credit Union is a great option also because you can get a installment loan and build credit that way also. Back in the day. I worked for a Major Airline, and i had nothing but great experiences with the CU.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.