cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed - new here and unsure of how to deal with Afni/Verizon

tag
iamjan

Advice needed - new here and unsure of how to deal with Afni/Verizon

Hi everyone! I'm relatively new, both to these boards and rebuilding my credit. I think these boards are a fantastic resource and I am trying to gather as much knowledge as I can to help my credit rebuilding process. I realize that part of my problem is credit utilization, which I'm trying to work on. The other is the open items on my credit report that I know I need to address.

Here's my situation with Afni and Verizon:

I have two separate Afni collections (OC: Verizon) on my credit report: one for $303 and another from $167. According to the EQ report I pulled from MyFico, both have a Date of Last Activity in June 2006 and May 2006 respectively, and are still appearing as active. Verizon is also listed separately, also actively reporting the $167 debt. I do believe the $303 debt is mine, but I'm not sure about the $167. I live in Virginia, so I believe I'm outside of the SOL. 

My questions:

1) Since both of these have a Date of Last Activity in 2006, does that mean they are scheduled to fall off my credit report this year? I'm not entirely sure what date determines that.

2) Since I'm not sure whether the $167 debt is mine, should I send a DV? If so, would I send it to Verizon? From what I've read so far, I realize they don't have to respond since these accounts are so long, but I'd really just like to verify this debt is mine before I attempt to pay it.

3) Since I believe the $303 is my debt, is it worth sending a DV to Afni, or should I just attempt to PIF, with the hopes that they will delete afterwards?

I've read how tough both Verizon and Afni can be, so I appreciate any advice that can be given. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
liesierre
Regular Contributor

Re: Advice needed - new here and unsure of how to deal with Afni/Verizon

the drop off date goes off of the "date of first delinquency".... so basically the first time you were late paying, thats where the clock starts for the 7 year drop off

Starting Score: EQ 633 TU ? EX 623 (lender)
Current Score: EQ 702 TU 720 EX 682
Goal Score: 720

Nordstrom Credit Card $4000CL, Target Credit Card $2000CL, CapitalOne Platinum $1500CL, Comenity Diamond Elite $1700CL, Victorias Secret $650CL
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.