Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed on a collected debt and interest

tag
willuw
Established Member

Re: Advice needed on a collected debt and interest

I am so at a loss at what to do...

This is really the only "negative" on my credit reports other then high utilization which I am paying down...

But it's a big one, with $15,000 and probably growing every month as a current debt Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 609 (Feb 1, 2013)
Current Score: 704
Goal Score: 750

Updated: Dec 9, 2019
Message 11 of 52
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Contact BoA and talk to them.  Find out what is going on and why they say the balance is so much.

Message 12 of 52
willuw
Established Member

I have fought with BOA for many months over this (before it was magically $15K)

They would not provide any details as it was a wrote off account and would only give me the name of the agency they sold it to.  I fought with branch managers at several locations, many hours on the phone, and letters that rarely got responded to.

This is why I disputed with the credit bureaus since BOA could not justify the balance.  Yet, the only thing the dispute did is showed BOA closed and wrote off the account and made a new entry in all of my credit reports of the account with the CA and the new $15k balance Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 52
guiness56
Epic Contributor

File a direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8).  This puts the furnisher of the information in the hot seat to investigate the dispute.  They have up to 30 days to notify you directly of the outcome.

Provide as much information as you can, cancelled checks, statements, etc.  What ever you have to support your claim.  Also ask for an accounting breakdown of what they say you owe.

Message 14 of 52
willuw
Established Member

File a direct dispute with who? The CA or BOA?

Unfortunately I have little documentation regarding this as I paid the card in full and closed it in 2006. I moved and never heard anything regarding this until years later...

Message 15 of 52
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Send it to BoA.

Tell them in the dispute it was closed in 2006 and you never heard anything else. 

Message 16 of 52
willuw
Established Member

I already filed a dispute with them a while back and the only information they would ever release is that they wrote the account off for $8000~ to the CA.  It was like banging my head against the wall dealing with BOA..Months of fighting with them got 0 progress.

Message 17 of 52
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Do one under the FCRA 623(a)(8).   They won't be able to get off that easy.

Message 18 of 52
willuw
Established Member

How exactly do I file it under the FCRA? I googled that but did not see anything that looked like what I need.

Should I not file something against the debt collector since they are the main issue right now reporting a hugely inflated debt as current? I am pretty sure they have illegaly added interest or fees to the account since it's doubled in size in 10 months..

Message 19 of 52
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You said you never owed BoA $8000.  If the CA is charging interest on an $8000 debt you never owed, I'd say it started with BoA.

You can ask the CA for an accounting of the debt;  principal, interest and how it was calculated.

Message 20 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.