Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed on attempts to remove two collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice needed on attempts to remove two collections

I've been reading the boards for a few months and have debated the best and proper way to get two collections removed from my husband's accounts. They are:

AFNI (DISH) for $51.00 with a DOFD of 12.20.13 and Stellar Recovery (Comcast) for $59.00 with a DOFD of 10.20.13

We live in TN (SOL+ 6 years). 

I have drafted a letter that I would personalize to both the OCs, but would appreciate any advice. Below is addressed to DISH.

January 11, 2016

DISH

Address

Dear Sir or Madam:

In December 2013, I cancelled my account with DISH and returned all the equipment. This was due in great part to a major strain on my finances because of a fall down my basement steps and the resulting medical bills from the hospital stay and concussion.  I now find that an amount of $51.00 is being reported by AFNI on my credit reports.

Please be aware that this is not an acknowledgment or acceptance of the debt, as I have not received any verification (or any correspondence for that matter) from AFNI.

This is a request that DISH pull the account from AFNI in order that I pay in full the $51.00 to DISH. In exchange for this payment, AFNI and DISH will cease to report to the three (Trans Union, Equifax and Experian) major credit bureaus.

I am trying to get my credit back in shape from the damage that fall and resulting financial strain caused. I would very much appreciate DISH working with me to achieve this. I will need all correspondence in writing.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

Name

Address

I've tried to DV with no results. I was about to send both CAs PIF PFD letters, but kept reading and there seemed to be better success with OC pulling and then if need be goodwilling letters. Besides there doesn't appear to be much success especially with AFNI.

So what's the flaws? While we want to get the scores higher and are working on it, we really want clean CRA reports.

Thanks to everyone reading and responding.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice needed on attempts to remove two collections

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been reading the boards for a few months and have debated the best and proper way to get two collections removed from my husband's accounts. They are:

AFNI (DISH) for $51.00 with a DOFD of 12.20.13 and Stellar Recovery (Comcast) for $59.00 with a DOFD of 10.20.13

We live in TN (SOL+ 6 years). 

I have drafted a letter that I would personalize to both the OCs, but would appreciate any advice. Below is addressed to DISH.

January 11, 2016

DISH

Address

Dear Sir or Madam:

In December 2013, I cancelled my account with DISH and returned all the equipment. This was due in great part to a major strain on my finances because of a fall down my basement steps and the resulting medical bills from the hospital stay and concussion.  I now find that an amount of $51.00 is being reported by AFNI on my credit reports.

Please be aware that this is not an acknowledgment or acceptance of the debt, as I have not received any verification (or any correspondence for that matter) from AFNI.

This is a request that DISH pull the account from AFNI in order that I pay in full the $51.00 to DISH. In exchange for this payment, AFNI and DISH will cease to report to the three (Trans Union, Equifax and Experian) major credit bureaus.

I am trying to get my credit back in shape from the damage that fall and resulting financial strain caused. I would very much appreciate DISH working with me to achieve this. I will need all correspondence in writing.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

Name

Address

I've tried to DV with no results. I was about to send both CAs PIF PFD letters, but kept reading and there seemed to be better success with OC pulling and then if need be goodwilling letters. Besides there doesn't appear to be much success especially with AFNI.

So what's the flaws? While we want to get the scores higher and are working on it, we really want clean CRA reports.

Thanks to everyone reading and responding.

Do not contact them at all. After six months of no progress on an account, they will move them to a new CA. As soon as you get a letter from a new CA pay it immediately before they report it. The CA's used by these companies will give you a 30 day grace period before reporting. If paid during that time it will not be reported. If the first CA's report is still there, simply dispute with the CRA as 'collector does not have collection authority for this account' and it will be deleted.

Viola! Collection gone and no difficult and often fruitless negotiations.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, NormanFH.  

According to Equifax AFNI has had the DISH account since 12/2014 so it hasn't moved in a year. We have never received any mail from them. 

Also, Stellar has had the Comcast one since 10/2015 and we have never heard from them.

So given the fact that they never concacted us, would they (AFNI and Stellar) just not show up one day and someone new replace them (and we never get a letter from them)?  I want to do it right, but want to be pro-active and not let them sit there until 2020.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply, NormanFH.  

According to Equifax AFNI has had the DISH account since 12/2014 so it hasn't moved in a year. We have never received any mail from them. 

Also, Stellar has had the Comcast one since 10/2015 and we have never heard from them.

So given the fact that they never concacted us, would they (AFNI and Stellar) just not show up one day and someone new replace them (and we never get a letter from them)?  I want to do it right, but want to be pro-active and not let them sit there until 2020.

Thanks.

In that case I would call Dish and see if they refer you to AFNI or someone else. Same with Comcast.

Message 4 of 8
Caitt
Regular Contributor

So if you pay within the 30 days they don't report as paid?
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Caitt wrote:
So if you pay within the 30 days they don't report as paid?

Typically, yes. If they have not yet reported the collection, paying right away (if its a legit collection) will usually keep it off your reports.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, the AFNI disappeared from EQ today. Have no idea what happened. Figure it might show back under a new CA. Hope they send a letter first so that we can get this taken care ff. Hate these moving target collections. Hard to get it cleaned up when you don't know who has it until it's too late.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, the AFNI disappeared from EQ today. Have no idea what happened. Figure it might show back under a new CA. Hope they send a letter first so that we can get this taken care ff. Hate these moving target collections. Hard to get it cleaned up when you don't know who has it until it's too late.

I hope you can get comcast to delete. I had the ca on my record only not comcast. They won't delete my record from my reports, they say unless comcast tells them to do so. Comcast promised me after I pay the final bill which I did they will remove from my report and now they come back saying that they sent the collections agency as comcast does not show up on my report that it is satisfied and to put paid only. All they offer me is a letter saying zero balance. I even addressed it wtih the eo  of comcast and they even called me twice to repeat the same. I feel dissapointed. Please let me know if possible if they comply to deleting the record after payment with you if possible. Thanks.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.