Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed on settlement offer

tag
lpayton
Regular Contributor

Advice needed on settlement offer

I had a vehicle repo'd 3 years ago. I owe them $3500. They made me a settlement offer of $3000, pay $100 a month and after 3 months they will report to bureaus I am paying, but it will still show the repo. After I pay it in full, they will remove it completely. Will re-opening it by making monthly payments hurt my score?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice needed on settlement offer

How is it reporting now? 

And the offer is good, if you can get them to put it in writing for you. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 2 of 4
lpayton
Regular Contributor

They have put it in writing, and right now it shows as "repossession" with a $3500 balance.  So, what they promised, is that If I begin making payments of a minimum of $100/month, after the 3rd month they will begin reporting it to the bureaus that I am making payments...but it will still show as a repo.  Once I get it paid off in full, they will completely delete it.  Oh, and they knocked off $500...bringing the amount to $3000 owed. 

I am just wondering, if I am making payments, and they are reporting the payments..but still showing it as a repo..will it help me at all? If the repo is still showing I would think it wouldn't make a difference? A repo is a repo is a repo..right?

( The goal would be to pay it off as fast as possible sending in chunks of $ as I can, to get the full deletion which I know will help me. Just wondering how it would affect me in the mean time)

Message 3 of 4
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@lpayton wrote:

I am just wondering, if I am making payments, and they are reporting the payments..but still showing it as a repo..will it help me at all? If the repo is still showing I would think it wouldn't make a difference? A repo is a repo is a repo..right?  While it's being reported as a repo, no the payments themselves won't help, other than reducing your debt.  A repo is repo, as you said.  But getting that deletion afterwards is key.  Having the agreement in writing is great too.  Good luck!

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.