Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed...

tag
bluescale
Regular Contributor

Advice needed...

Hello,

I have what I think is a somewhat unique situations.  A few years ago my wife and I got into A LOT of debt.  The how and why of that is another story for another day, but suffice to say, we had to dig our way out of a mess we created.  We got ourselves into a DMP, and got everything under control.  We're now debt free and enjoying a lot of financial freedom.

About a year and a half before our DMP ended, I learned about the free annual credit report available to all credit consumers.  I pulled my file in February of 2011, and was horrified to find that one of my creditors (Citi) reported 21 consecutive 30 day late delinquencies.  I called them right away, and spoke to a very understanding woman who explained that even though I was paying according to the terms of my DMP, and even though they had stopped charging me fees for being late, I had been 30 days late when I started, and I never caught up.  I quickly paid the late portion of the bill (something like $200), and got everything caught up.  I was so shocked and embarrassed about being delinquent for so long, it didn't occur to me to ask if that could be removed from my credit file.

Fast forward to mid 2013.  My TU score is 690, but I'm pretty sure this will go up a decent amount.  My util shows as 97% on my June report, but only because we just got back from Europe, and used our cards heavily while there.  Everything is paid off.  Next pull should be pretty favorable to my score.  Except when on vacation, I pay for daily expense on my debit, and monthly bills go to my card (and are paid in full before the due date)

So here's my question (yes, I'm longwinded - sorry):  Should I bother trying to the get 21 months of 30 day lates removed from my report.  The last late was in Feb 2011, so it's more than 2 years old.  The card itself was closed as part of the DMP.  I don't have my card number any more, so trying to do a GW is going to be tricky.  I've read over and over on this forum that 30 days late after 20 years has pretty much no impact, but 21 consecutive 30 day lates?  Does it make a worthwhile difference, and is it worth the effort?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
bluescale
Regular Contributor

Re: Advice needed...

I should also point out that this (and all my other accounts) show as "Paid or paying as agreed."

Message 2 of 8
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

bump

Message 3 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@bluescale wrote:

Hello,

I have what I think is a somewhat unique situations.  A few years ago my wife and I got into A LOT of debt.  The how and why of that is another story for another day, but suffice to say, we had to dig our way out of a mess we created.  We got ourselves into a DMP, and got everything under control.  We're now debt free and enjoying a lot of financial freedom.

About a year and a half before our DMP ended, I learned about the free annual credit report available to all credit consumers.  I pulled my file in February of 2011, and was horrified to find that one of my creditors (Citi) reported 21 consecutive 30 day late delinquencies.  I called them right away, and spoke to a very understanding woman who explained that even though I was paying according to the terms of my DMP, and even though they had stopped charging me fees for being late, I had been 30 days late when I started, and I never caught up.  I quickly paid the late portion of the bill (something like $200), and got everything caught up.  I was so shocked and embarrassed about being delinquent for so long, it didn't occur to me to ask if that could be removed from my credit file.

Fast forward to mid 2013.  My TU score is 690, but I'm pretty sure this will go up a decent amount.  My util shows as 97% on my June report, but only because we just got back from Europe, and used our cards heavily while there.  Everything is paid off.  Next pull should be pretty favorable to my score.  Except when on vacation, I pay for daily expense on my debit, and monthly bills go to my card (and are paid in full before the due date)

So here's my question (yes, I'm longwinded - sorry):  Should I bother trying to the get 21 months of 30 day lates removed from my report.  The last late was in Feb 2011, so it's more than 2 years old.  The card itself was closed as part of the DMP.  I don't have my card number any more, so trying to do a GW is going to be tricky.  I've read over and over on this forum that 30 days late after 20 years has pretty much no impact, but 21 consecutive 30 day lates?  Does it make a worthwhile difference, and is it worth the effort?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I am guessing you mean 2 years and yes, you are correct.  Little impact.  All of them combined are a bit different as they are not single 30 day lates.

There is never a bad time to send a GW letter.  State your case, you had no idea you were behind or would have taken care of it immediately etc.  Ask if they would consider removing them or at the very least the newer ones. 

It isn't going to hurt you in any way and all they can say is no.

Message 4 of 8
bluescale
Regular Contributor

Ah bummer...I got so excited when I saw that someone as active as guiness56 had responded to my post.  Way to go getting my hopes up.  Smiley Tongue

*Edit* - Never mind...I see that you did reply after all.  Thanks!

Message 5 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor
Message 6 of 8
bluescale
Regular Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

I am guessing you mean 2 years and yes, you are correct.  Little impact.  All of them combined are a bit different as they are not single 30 day lates.

There is never a bad time to send a GW letter.  State your case, you had no idea you were behind or would have taken care of it immediately etc.  Ask if they would consider removing them or at the very least the newer ones. 

It isn't going to hurt you in any way and all they can say is no.

Whoops...Yes, I did mean 2 years rather than 20 years.  Interestingly, when I looked more cloesely at my report this morning, at states "You're most recent late payment happened 4 Years, 10 Months ago."  Is this because that's when the account first became late (and then continued that way for the next 20 months)?

Also, do you know if it's possible for me to somehow get my old account number, or do a GW without an account number?  Unfortunately, I recently shredded all my old documents, thinking I'd never need them again.

Message 7 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Send them what is on your report.  They should be able to use that and your name to find it.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.