Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on CC balances

tag
Shokk
Established Contributor

Advice on CC balances

I have 4 current cards, 3 with a balance. The newest was obtained using the shopping cart trick and I plan to never use it, $500 CL.

Second newest is Merrick bank.  $300 balance, $500 CL.  I planned not to use this one at all, but needed tires for my car. (Good timng on this card!)  I plan to pay this one down/off first.  I pay more than the minimum each month.

I have 2 Cap 1 cards:

$250 balance, $700 CL.

$250 balance, $500 CL. (Orchard Bank)

The old OB card seems to have the better rate as the interest charge each month is half what the Cap 1 card is with a similar balance.  A payment on each will go through tomorrow.  My thought was to transfer the balance from the Cap 1 card to the old OB card, so one carries a zero balance, then pay off the Merrick card over 7 months to get my gauranteed CLI.  Besides one card having a lower rate, is there really any benefit to this?  Util will still figure the same, yes?

Also have an AU account with my gf that should report this month. (Discover)  CL is between 5 and 10k, and always PIF each month.

Thoughts?

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Advice on CC balances

@Shokk wrote:

I have 4 current cards, 3 with a balance. The newest was obtained using the shopping cart trick and I plan to never use it, $500 CL.

Second newest is Merrick bank.  $300 balance, $500 CL.  I planned not to use this one at all, but needed tires for my car. (Good timng on this card!)  I plan to pay this one down/off first.  I pay more than the minimum each month.

I have 2 Cap 1 cards:

$250 balance, $700 CL.

$250 balance, $500 CL. (Orchard Bank)

The old OB card seems to have the better rate as the interest charge each month is half what the Cap 1 card is with a similar balance.  A payment on each will go through tomorrow.  My thought was to transfer the balance from the Cap 1 card to the old OB card, so one carries a zero balance, then pay off the Merrick card over 7 months to get my gauranteed CLI.  Besides one card having a lower rate, is there really any benefit to this?  Util will still figure the same, yes?

Also have an AU account with my gf that should report this month. (Discover)  CL is between 5 and 10k, and always PIF each month.

Thoughts?

It all depends on the BT fees and will you save money due to the difference in interest rate after the fees?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 4
Shokk
Established Contributor

I'll have to call tomorrow and find out about any fees since its Cap 1 to Cap 1 transfer.

My question was more in regards to any effect on scores.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 3 of 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Shokk wrote:

I'll have to call tomorrow and find out about any fees since its Cap 1 to Cap 1 transfer.

My question was more in regards to any effect on scores.

If the current balances you are showing is correct yes you will see a ding in score due to showing the OB card as MAX with the 250 BT taking it to 500

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.