Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Cap1 account, please.

tag
Jaguars28fan
Contributor

Advice on Cap1 account, please.

I've been repairing for a year or so now and I'm down to my last baddie.  It should come off next year but I'm looking for a mortgage this year.  It's a cap1 charge off of 5303.  I've tried to argue with them the balance should not be that b/c they sent me a 1099-c for 2600 (they said theycould only send a 1099-c for charge I put on and not their fees).  I don't get how they can get you to count the "cancelled debt" as income but still show it as a balance on the credit report...   All lenders I'vecalled besides USDA Direct says it has to be paid off.  I'm just worred I'll wait till next year until they have funding. 

Anyways, I'm the point where I think settling may be best right now.  My scores hover around 625-650 for EQ fico.  I believe if I settle with them, it could increase my score since it's using up my util%.  My question is, how much can I settle for?  anyone settle for 30% or less? does anyone have a cap1 email contact that could help?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mnosal9
Regular Contributor

Re: Advice on Cap1 account, please.

With capital one I try to settle for 50% or more of what the debt owed is. I have a capital one C/O from 2009 and settled for half.

Starting: 6/2012 : EX: 485(FAKO) EQ: 490(FICO) Trans: 482(FAKO)
Current : 4/2014: EX: 650(FICO) EQ: 664 (FICO) Trans: 681 (FICO)

Cards: NPSL Amex Green (AU), $11500 Discover IT, $4000 Quicksilver One, $3500 Bank of America Travel Rewards,$3000 Amex BCE,$3000 Quicksilver One, $3000 AA, $2500 Sallie Mae MC, $5000 Citibank AA, $1500 Barclay, $1200 Macys
~Back to the Garden~

Goal Score: 700 Across!

Gardening til 8/2014!!
Message 2 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Jaguars28fan wrote:

I've been repairing for a year or so now and I'm down to my last baddie.  It should come off next year but I'm looking for a mortgage this year.  It's a cap1 charge off of 5303.  I've tried to argue with them the balance should not be that b/c they sent me a 1099-c for 2600 (they said theycould only send a 1099-c for charge I put on and not their fees).  I don't get how they can get you to count the "cancelled debt" as income but still show it as a balance on the credit report...   All lenders I'vecalled besides USDA Direct says it has to be paid off.  I'm just worred I'll wait till next year until they have funding. 

Anyways, I'm the point where I think settling may be best right now.  My scores hover around 625-650 for EQ fico.  I believe if I settle with them, it could increase my score since it's using up my util%.  My question is, how much can I settle for?  anyone settle for 30% or less? does anyone have a cap1 email contact that could help?

They can't.  Once they send you a 1099-C for the forgiven debt, they can no longer show that in their balance nor try to collect on it.

Message 3 of 8
Jaguars28fan
Contributor

that's what i thought, but I can't find any where that it says they can't.  it doesn't make any sense to me how they can file it and still report it.  I talked to two reps yesterday for a hour and both kept telling me to talk to my tax rep. 

I had to file the 1099-c as my income.  If it is my income, then the money no longer should be listed on my credit report. 

Message 4 of 8
Jaguars28fan
Contributor

well... looks like you may be right.  After talking to two reps yesterday for hours arguing with them... I decided to give in today and just settle.  Well I talked to a rep and said i just wanted to settle and get it over with.  I'm on hold for like 10 min.  She comes back and says I'm sorry we aren't collecting on this account anymore and we're removin ourselves from your report.  Of course... I say well can I get a letter saying that or anything...  she says no.  So I get her name and number instead. 

Message 5 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

They are doing the right thing.  It is illegal for them to issue a 1099-C and continue to try to collect.

Message 6 of 8
madmann26
Valued Contributor

To answer the other part of your question,

The CO balance is affecting your utilization. Once that balance reports as $0, you utilization should come down.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 7 of 8
huntsmama
New Contributor

I'm so glad I stumbled on this because I am having the same issue, although I have not contacted Capital one directly yet cause I'm scared of them. Can I ask for the name and number of the rep you spoke with via PM? I'd like to try your strategy to get them to report the $0 balance as well.

Thanks in advance!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.